Should I get a Nexus 7?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you test-driven a 7" tablet? I really like mine, but while it's infinitely easier to do web browsing than on a phone, it's a far cry from a 10" tablet.

Before buying something you can't return (and buying used is almost certainly going to be that), make sure you can live with the 7" form factor. I much prefer my 7 (and Android) to the iPad Mini, but I have to admit that that extra inch makes a nice difference. I'm not suggesting the iPad (esp given pricing), I'm just saying that the difference may be more than you imagine.
I have played around with my neighbor's samsung 7" tablet and it's DECENT, but he also has an ipad and I like the 10 inch better than 7 inch. HOWEVER, the 7 inch doesn't bug me at all, its just much easier (less zooming and such) to web browse on a 10 inch screen. And if I buy it from a store I'd be able to return it yes? I have heard a lot of issues with the Nexus 7 devices.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It is 50-50
Some Nexus may have error at the moment, I do not know what will in next some months. Android free app are very boring vs apple. I used both Ipad 2 and Nexus 7.
You should buy a silicon case + screen protector as soon as possible. It is not easy to be broken but some keys in the same pocket can damage.

It is very good for social app and google services, not so much in gaming.

Just out of curiosity, why a silicon case?

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do the cheap one I see on Amazon work alright and how does that work with games such as fp shooters?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I bought two off Amazon. The first died almost a week after I got it, the second one has been holding steady so far. It works great with emulators to play games like Chrono Trigger and Mega Man. I've been playing Dead Trigger with a USB XBOX controller I have and it's much easier for me than the on-screen controls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've done some research and the only good one (at least for me) was this one: SlimBook So when I get a Nexus 7 this will be the case I will get. Just throwing it out there in case others are looking for a case.

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've done some research and the only good one (at least for me) was this one: SlimBook So when I get a Nexus 7 this will be the case I will get. Just throwing it out there in case others are looking for a case.

You should get the Slimline by Poetic instead. Its a great case and I've been using it since I bought my N7. Plus, Poetic's customer service is great.
As for the Nexus 7, it will fulfill all your needs you mentioned. It all depends if you prefer a larger screen or not. I have to admit, when I watch movies while laying down, my arms do get tired holding the N7 up.
There is not one thing I haven't done on my N7. I've gamed, YouTube, Facebook, browse web, type papers, read news, dropped it, Netflix, movies, music, take pics, record videos, etc. Its great.
Accessories wise, what do you plan to do?
Basic things would be a case and a dock.
If you plan on traveling, get another case with more protection, get a OTG cable, external hard drive for movies and such.
That's all you pretty much need.
Good luck and enjoy!

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You should get the Slimline by Poetic instead. Its a great case and I've been using it since I bought my N7. Plus, Poetic's customer service is great.
As for the Nexus 7, it will fulfill all your needs you mentioned. It all depends if you prefer a larger screen or not. I have to admit, when I watch movies while laying down, my arms do get tired holding the N7 up.
There is not one thing I haven't done on my N7. I've gamed, YouTube, Facebook, browse web, type papers, read news, dropped it, Netflix, movies, music, take pics, record videos, etc. Its great.
Accessories wise, what do you plan to do?
Basic things would be a case and a dock.
If you plan on traveling, get another case with more protection, get a OTG cable, external hard drive for movies and such.
That's all you pretty much need.
Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks! I've decided not to get the Slimline because I have read in a lot of review how it falls apart in a short period of time. And plus the one I mentioned has a little more functionality than the slimline. The only accessories I would need is a case and a screen protector. I don't really find a need for a dock or anything like that. And I do not travel a lot, and when I do it's mostly for a few hours just commuting around the city etc.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Why would I need this?

I got this case, it is a Roo case.
Amazon.com: rooCASE Multi-Angle (Black) Vegan Leather Folio Case Cover for Google Nexus 7 Tablet (Automatically Wakes and Puts the Nexus 7 to Sleep) - Newest Version with Revised Speaker Ports and Notification Bar: Computers & Accessories
I really like this. :) But I don't like how it makes it twice as big, not a big deal but still lol. And does it have sleep/wake features?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
An OTG cable is necessary if you want to use a keyboard, mouse, or a USB jump drive. Most people would use it for the USB drive, but it can have multiple uses.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought this SupCase from Amazon. It looks almost identical, has the smart-cover feature, saves you 10 bucks and also has free 2 day shipping if you are a Prime member.

Amazon.com: Google Nexus 7 Tablet Slim Fit Leather Case (Black) with Stand by Supcase -Black, Sapphire Blue, Green, Purple, Light Blue, Deep Pink, Deep Blue, Red, Pink, Yellow, White: Computers & Accessories

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a 32GB N7 a few days ago and haven't regretted it since. I got mine with data capabilities and have a AT&T service. I like being able to take it out with me and not have to worry about finding an open WiFi. This morning, my DSL went out for an hour and I still was able to get on the net with my N7.

I have a Poetic case on it, not sure of it's the one people mentioned that falls apart but I got it for free so I really don't care. If it falls apart, I'll get a new one.

Also, when you get yours, either disable the Currents app or go into it's settings and disable auto sync. That is a battery killer. With it off, I'm going on 4hrs display time and still have 53% battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance