1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 half the screen has white overlay...

My Nexus 7 screen started doing this today...I was watching a video and then all of a sudden half the screen had like this white overlay on it. It doesn't matter what i do it stays that way, the only time it changes is when I turn it off and charge it and only a 1/4 of the screen does it then.

Its just 3 months old so I'm guessing this is a warranty issue if nobody can help me out....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 7 half the screen has white overlay...-n7screen2.jpg   Nexus 7 half the screen has white overlay...-nexus-7-screen.jpg  

Default Re: Nexus 7 half the screen has white overlay...

That definitely looks like a hardware issue rather than a software glitch.

I've not seen that fault before but I'd RMA it asap.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I almost returned it to Wal Mart after I got it for x-mas because of a dead pixel while it was still in the 15 day period but I didn't feel like messing with it for one pixel. I guess I should have did that because now I will be stuck waiting on a replacement/repair, kinda sucks because I use it alot.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I started a RMA, but I was more than a little displeased with the customer service. After I told him what was going on he told me i would have to pay over $200 to have the screen replaced. The guy never said anything about a warranty (that I know I have) until I said that it has a year warranty and this should be covered, then he told me that if the techs find it was user error that caused it then they would contact me for payment.

Also, another thing that pisses me off is they make the customer pay for shipping it to them. I agree that the customer should have to pay for the initial shipping, but if it is found that it was in fact an ASUS problem, then the customer should receive compensation for the shipping charges. Just a little chicken if you ask me, I paid for a quality product and if said product has a defect from the factory then I should NOT have to come out of pocket for their f-up.

When you say "customer service" who did you deal with? Google or Asus?

When my Nexus 8 failed I phoned Asus direct and they arranged an RMA with no fuss at all and paid for postage. I didn't need them in the end as I got it replaced at the store instead.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It had to go through ASUS because I bought it at Walmart and Google will only handle it if it was purchased through them. It might have just been the foreign guy I spoke with that was getting things confused about the warranty. I do know I have to pay for shipping and materials as they sent me a RMA checklist to go over before I send it. I am going to send a few emails to their corporate offices and try to find out why I am stuck paying for shipping, its not a big expense at around $5, its just the principle that I shouldn't have to fork over extra money for their problems.

And lets hope that the tech doesn't try to say I caused it somehow, we will have some serious issues then...

Perhaps Asus have different RMA procedures in different countries in that case?!? They definitely cover shipping costs for RMA's in the UK but I'm guessing you're in the US?

I hate to say this, but if you got it at Walmart, they are good at returns. I have returned electronics that were 4 months old that stop working or had defects. They exchanged it with no questions asked. As long as you had a receipt. You should of tried them first. If they were out, they would give you a gift card to order one online.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chronix79 View Post
    It had to go through ASUS because I bought it at Walmart and Google will only handle it if it was purchased through them. It might have just been the foreign guy I spoke with that was getting things confused about the warranty. I do know I have to pay for shipping and materials as they sent me a RMA checklist to go over before I send it. I am going to send a few emails to their corporate offices and try to find out why I am stuck paying for shipping, its not a big expense at around $5, its just the principle that I shouldn't have to fork over extra money for their problems.

And lets hope that the tech doesn't try to say I caused it somehow, we will have some serious issues then...
    If you still have it I would try Walmart first. Like I said. The worst they can say is No right?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Griff88 View Post
    Perhaps Asus have different RMA procedures in different countries in that case?!? They definitely cover shipping costs for RMA's in the UK but I'm guessing you're in the US?
    Yea, I'm in the US and after a little research it seems to be common...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    If you still have it I would try Walmart first. Like I said. The worst they can say is No right?

That's true, I think I will try it tomorrow before I ship it...I still have the receipt and the box with all the papers so it would be worth a shot. Thanks for the idea, I forgot how lenient wally world is on returns...

That's true, I think I will try it tomorrow before I ship it...I still have the receipt and the box with all the papers so it would be worth a shot. Thanks for the idea, I forgot how lenient wally world is on returns...
    Good luck bud.. Just tell them that it is defective. They might check for scratches and stuff. As long as it is physically in good shape you should be ok. Just tell them the truth and how long it would take to send it in. Also you're not asking for money back. You just want an exchange. Good luck. Let me know. I would show them the pic of the problem also. Dont forget to factory reset it first. Also if its not in stock, request a gift card. Not a refund. Then go home on walmart.com and order it. They ship very fast.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by MONDINGO; 02-19-2013 at 08:20 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Yea man, this thing is in perfect condition...There's no scratches or anything on the screen or bezel. The bad news is I looked online last nite and they dont seem to stock the 16gb in store or online so I might have to fork over an extra $50 for the 32gb model, which wouldn't be a horrible thing...

I'm headed over there now, I just backed everything up and set it to factory defaults...

Yea man, this thing is in perfect condition...There's no scratches or anything on the screen or bezel. The bad news is I looked online last nite and they dont seem to stock the 16gb in store or online so I might have to fork over an extra $50 for the 32gb model, which wouldn't be a horrible thing...

I'm headed over there now, I just backed everything up and set it to factory defaults...
    Good luck bro! If they don't have it just spend the extra $50 for the 32 gig. My wife has that one and its flawless. Walmart ships fast. My wife got hers in 2 days from there . But also depends where you live. Let me know if they still at least refund or give you credit. I wouldn't take no for an answer. , I've returned things from Kmart to Walmart. Lol

Any luck yet?

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

No go at walmart, had the manager out there and all. I shipped it off for lunch today. Luckily the repair center is in TX and I live in LA so it shouldn't take too long, I'm thinking a week or two...Sucks, but what else could be done, they pretty much have me by the sack. I just hope the tech who inspects doesn't say I caused it...

Damn! I'm shocked wally world would not help. My Walmart here in Florida is very lenient. But I guess all are different. Good luck with sending it out. Hope it's good as new when you get it back.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Its set to be delivered today from Fedex, they did do the repairs for free but one thing concerns me....When I check the tracking it says the package weighs 10.5lbs and its 13x9x2, this seems a little too big to be a Nexus 7 that weighs less than a lb. I guess we'll see....
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Good news, got my nexus back today and its seems to be perfect...It took exactly two weeks from the day I shipped it off so it wasn't too bad of a wait.

EDIT: They also fixed a creak I had in the back cover.

Hi Chronix, I had the same fault. My Nexus was only 6 weeks old when exactly the same thing happened. I returned it to PC World (I'm in the UK) and it has taken just 10 days to have it fixed.
    Glad you got yours fixed.

I just got the Half-White Screen last night...

Shows up with previous screen information "ghosting" over to other screens.

Was this indeed determined to be 100% hardware issue? Thus requiring a trip back to the factory?

In other words, a Factory Reset won't save the day?

Thanx in advance...

Have the same thing. Warranty is expired (one year in US, ríght ?):-/
    did anyone solve it via software maybe?

Its gone!
    I fully recharched the nexus 7 (2012) und the white overlay slowly faded .... strange.
    I had it lieing around for about 2 months. cold and fully charged battery could be also a factor.

sorry for bothering you guys.