N7 won't connect to Wi-Fi after factory reset

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset of my N7 and am trying to get through the set-up process. But the tablet won't connect to my wifi. It fluctuates between "connecting" and "obtaining IP address." I also get an "Avoided poor internet connection" however the signal strength is excellent. I've turned the tablet off and on a second time, and it's still stuck on the Select W-Fi screen.

Suggestions, please! Thank you.

Dude1134

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
My brothers Chrome book did the same thing after a factory reset. I just kept pressing connect to WiFi and it finally connected. Took about 7 tries.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
What Nexus7 tech support told me

I called Nexus 7 tech support. I was told the device requires a higher level of security than WEP.

They said I needed to call my ISP and have them switch to 2.4 GH and WPA, WPA2 or WPAPSK. (This stuff is over my head). It didn't require this prior to the factory reset! Why all of a sudden after the reset?

Does this make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me. All our other devices are connecting to wifi without problems (2 PC laptops, an old MacBook, a new MacBook Air, an iPhone and a Galaxy S3). The tablet connected to our wifi was without issue before the factory reset. This is so frustrating.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
WEP is easily broken so I am not surprised that Google no longer supports it. When you reset it probably cleared cache and reverted back to the current requirements.

You should upgrade your router to a proper encryption protocol. Right now you really do not have any security.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: What Nexus7 tech support told me

I called Nexus 7 tech support. I was told the device requires a higher level of security that WEP.

They said I needed to call my ISP and have them switch to 2.4 GH and WPA, WPA2 or WPAPSK. (This stuff is over my head). It didn't require this prior to the factory reset! Why all of a sudden after the reset?

Does this make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me. All our other devices are connecting to wifi without problems (2 PC laptops, an old MacBook, a new MacBook Air, an iPhone and a Galaxy S3). The tablet connected to our wifi without issue before the factory reset. This is so frustrating.
I had same issue connecting to my friends wifi which was just WPA. i made him change it to WPA/WPA2 and then my nexus 4 connected easily.

you don't need to call ISP to change this. its in your wireless router. tell me the make of your wireless router.
login to it and just change a small settings

Last edited:

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site

you don't need to call ISP to change this. its in your wireless router. tell me the make of your wireless router.
login to it and just change a small settings

It's an ATT 2Wire (router and modem in one unit. I know I can change the settings online, I just don't know the url; not sure I even remember the login information. I don't mind calling ATT tomorrow; I need to be assured that this won't affect our family's ability to connect to wifi on our other notebooks and devices.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

It's an ATT 2Wire (router and modem in one unit. I know I can change the settings online, I just don't know the url; not sure I even remember the login information. I don't mind calling ATT tomorrow; I need to be assured that this won't affect our family's ability to connect to wifi on our other notebooks and devices.
url(IP) for 2Wire
172.16.0.1 or 192.168.1.254 depending on your firmware. try both.

if you dont remember the password i recommend calling ATT. or look at the box the router came with if you have it.
The password might still be the default password.

Jabari LeGendre

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Hi my nexus 7 is stuck in an obtaining ip address and my router is secured with wpa.wpa2 and it still won't work I dont know what to do please help

Chandler Partlow

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
im having the same issue with my tablet i reset it and tried to connect Strength is Very good but it still will not connect and and keeps trying to authenticate but nothing else PLEASE HELP ME I use my tablet for everything!!!!!!!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Try any of the following:

1. Reboot the router by unplugging the power and waiting 10 seconds, then plugging it back in and waiting another 20-30 seconds for the connection to reestablish.
2. On your N7, go to Settings/Wireless & Networking/Wi-fi, select the network and Forget it. Then reconnect (reentering the password).
3. Try turning off the router security temporarily. You'll have to log into the router using your computer browser. Read the router's manual to learn how to do this.
4. If turning the security off works, turn it back on, but try a different encryption protocol (WPA instead of WEP or vice-versa, or AES instead of TKIP or vice-versa).