Nexus for productivity - yay or nay?

halimaw96

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an iPad mini for my mother because she wanted something she could read her emails on and browse. I used to think tablets were useless, but I'm really loving having tablet, I think I'm actually using it more than she is! I did want a tablet for myself though, and I was hoping to get me a N7. How is it for productivity? I have to write a lot of essays for my classes, so I wanted to see how word processing apps and the like fare on the device.

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine mostly for the purpose of typing essays and stuff. It is very good when in the car and when you don't want to haul a laptop around. The portrait keyboard is perfect to punch away at quickly with your thumbs, whereas my RAZR maxx was just too small to comfortably type on for long periods of time.
I use Google drive for writing essays and stuff. If you want to see a screenshot of how it is setup when typing (and how big the keyboard is and stuff let me know.) I don't think you would be disappointed with it though. I know I'm not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, to be clear, no tablet will ever be as productive as a laptop. If you really want a productive device that is a mix, you should look into the Surface Pro since it is a full powered laptop in the form factor of a tablet. But it has its downsides as well (less battery life, heavier, etc).

As far as tablets go, Android tablets are typically more productive than iOS devices because of a couple of things. First, we get Swype, which is so much faster than pecking on a keyboard with your thumb. Second, we have the dedicated recent apps soft button so if you are referencing a website, copying and pasting, etc you can easily swap between apps.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I would never use a tablet as a main/only productivity device, but it is a nice companion. I don't usually do a lot of actual writing on my N7 but I do use it for editing quite a bit, especailly when I'm riding a stationary bike.

halimaw96

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yea I figured that I could use it just for writing notes and whatnot, and editing those essays at the last minute. I'm just concerned if there's any productivity suites that actually work really well with the device.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
google docs works surprisingly well on mobile devices now. but past that there are approximately eleventy million office suite apps for Android. The one I currently have installed (though rarely use since I moslty use google docs) is OfficeSuite Pro, but others have other good suggestions as well.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Evernote is amazing for note taking and organization of notes. It syncs with your PC client and it is simply fantastic for me at work.

I use Google Drive for my personal documents because that is pretty editable on N7 as well.

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I use docs to go with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and do some pretty heavy duty word docs with it. My corporate emails comes in via touchdown sync'd to exchange. I get a lot done with my N7.

Fmrvette

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

halimaw96

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Looks awesome, but I'm wary of the size. I have big fingers that get cramped on my 10 inch net book, is this about the same in size.

ddonahueiup

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I use docs to go with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and do some pretty heavy duty word docs with it. My corporate emails comes in via touchdown sync'd to exchange. I get a lot done with my N7.

I use Google docs and a wireless bluetooth keyboard as well, works great wrote a couple of grad papers already on it

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I do use a full size bluetooth keyboard with my N7 on a somehwat regular basis, but that isnt' why I don't like it so much for doing a lot of productivity. I just find the screen too small to really do a lot of heavy lifting. If i had a 10" tablet I could really see it paired with a bluetooth keyboard completely replacing the need for a laptop for me, but at 7" the screen is too small to be a full time replacement.

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard I use is a verbatim fro amazon. It folds in half and slide into a sleave.