With note 2 is this a good buy?

Forfaden

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys (pretty new here)

But I have a galaxy note 2 and I love it. But I read so much about the nexus 7 and other 7 inch tablets and it got me thinking, is the note 2 so large that there isn't a reason to buy a nexus 7?
I would use it for google reader, video, gaming etc.
What do you guys think?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Imo, the note 8 inch is the top dog right now, get that when it comes out, should be a good companion to the note 2 and it's a bit bigger than the nexus

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because cyanogenmod is the rom for noobs

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* tablet are getting smaller and phones are getting bigger. when will the madness end?!
What I think is that You should get a big screened tablet, at least 8 inch. (preferably 9.7+ inch) otherwise it's not TOO much difference you know what I mean?

Forfaden

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The issue with me buying the note 8.0 is that it has been leaked that it will cost a pretty penny and I don't feel like I will be able to justify spending much more then $300 on a tablet when I already have a high end phone. But obviously I should wait for the official price on it.

I have a school assigned ipad 2 and I really don't like the size of it, I feel like I might as well be pulling out a text book from my backpack. It is very large and cumbersome to deal with. So I would prefer something smaller that I could use while walking.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The issue with me buying the note 8.0 is that it has been leaked that it will cost a pretty penny and I don't feel like I will be able to justify spending much more then $300 on a tablet when I already have a high end phone. But obviously I should wait for the official price on it.

I have a school assigned ipad 2 and I really don't like the size of it, I feel like I might as well be pulling out a text book from my backpack. It is very large and cumbersome to deal with. So I would prefer something smaller that I could use while walking.

In that case, If you can afford it then go with a nexus 7. Then go get a bluetooth headset or something link it with your phone. THEN get tablet talk or something similar, (don't go with mighty text, read their privacy policy as to why) and just use the tablet to do everything your phone can except make calls, but thats where your bluetooth comes in! :D

Forfaden

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Do you think I should wait for more information about the "Nexus 7 hd?" I would hate to pay the same price for the hardware but have a newer one come out soon after that.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you think I should wait for more information about the "Nexus 7 hd?" I would hate to pay the same price for the hardware but have a newer one come out soon after that.

That would be 3 months. Seeing as how you have a note, I would advise to wait. But if you absolutely can not wait, get one, then sell it.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
What I don't like about the Note 8.0 is that it looks to be running basically a phone UI on it instead of a tablet UI. The whole device just looks silly.

But to answer the original question, the Nexus 7 really isn't that much bigger than the Note 2. I'm not sure if it is really worth it, other than the fact that I will advocate anything that runs stock android and want to set anything that is running TouchWiz on fire.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My experience:

When the Nexus 7 came out, I had both a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the original 10" GTab). With my tablet getting older and the great price of the N7, I figured I'd give it a shot (I'm a gadget junkie).

What I found was, even though I thought the N7 was a great tablet for the price I paid, I simply didn't use it all that much. I found that most of the time I would reach for my S3 when I wanted a smaller device, and for my GTab 10.1 when I wanted a larger device -- there wasn't really any time when the 7" screen was *juuuust* right. Don't get me wrong, in the absence of the 10" tablet, I would have used it lot, but I definitely prefer the 10" screen, so therefore that's what I used. I eventually gave the N7 to my brother-in-law who uses it all the time.

Since then, I bought a N10 to replace my older Galaxy tab and love it. Frankly, if I owned a Note 2, I'm not sure I'd spend my money on a tablet that's only *slightly* bigger. Since you said you already have access to an iPad and don't like the larger device size, your preference may different, but that's just how I see it.

Zapflashgone

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
For me it is always about the form factor and the functional use.
If I am going to surf the net, I am much more comfortable with my 15" laptop. Magazine format articles [Pocket, etc.], many games, RSS reads, I'm going to grab the full iPad and prop it on my knee in my recliner.
The Nexus 7 is perfect for those movies I want to watch in bed or for reading ebooks stretched out on the couch. The screen is going to be 16" from my face. I don't need any bigger and the N7 's light weight is far easier to hold for extended periods of time.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
What I don't like about the Note 8.0 is that it looks to be running basically a phone UI on it instead of a tablet UI. The whole device just looks silly.
With 4.2 there isn't actually a whole lot of difference between the phone UI and the tablet UI, I don't see why this would make the device look silly, and I'm sure there are some people who would use it as a phone, I know a guy who uses a 7" galaxy tab as his phone.

But to answer the original question, the Nexus 7 really isn't that much bigger than the Note 2.
Now since when is a 72% bigger screen not that much bigger?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Now since when is a 72% bigger screen not that much bigger?

By my math, it's only 62% larger (my math could be wrong) ... but either way, yes, it's considerably more screen area when you look at it that way, however in terms of simple width & height, the two devices aren't that different in size -- and that's the way most people's perception will compare the two.

Frankly, I think the Note 2 is too big to be an everyday phone, and the N7 is too small to be everyday tablet. That's just, like, my opinion, man. I don't fault anyone for buying either one (or both)...but to me they really are too similar in size, and I'd definitely opt for a 10" tablet regardless, but especially if I had a "phone" as large as the Note 2 is.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is 16:10 and the Note 2 is 16:9, I suspect you didn't take that into account with your maths.

When looking at the numbers the difference between 5.5" and 7" may not seem much, but if you actually put them side by side I think most people would appreciate how much bigger the Nexus 7 is. But whether it is enough to make them both useful is purely personal preference.

Michael Phan1

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was a good buy... i have the note 2 but then at work sometimes i watch movies and want a bigger screen... and this tablet is perfect size that fits in my scrub cargo pant pockets at work too =)

Forfaden

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey sorry everyone I was gone for a bit.
And I do think that I will wait for a bit, I'm thinking something like 8.5 would be great but I'll have to wait and see.
(and off topic but on my note I'm running pacman rom so I have stock plus cyanogenmod, paranoid, and and aokp so it's great)

Forfaden

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
thanks everyone, I will wait it out to see if it would fit well enough into my life style.

Hopefully I will be able to test one out for a bit longer then I have before to see how it'll work out.
Thanks all