So I am getting a Galaxy Nexus this weekend - tethering

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'll say it: I still have a 'dumb phone'. I couldn't justify doubling my phone bill each moth so I could check facebook on the go.

But I got a promotion at work and finally decided to take the extra cash for a new phone. I am probably going with the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint (debate between that and the 3S) and I wanted to get your thoughts on tethering to the N7.

My N7 isn't rooted and I don't plan on rooting my phone, so what is the best option for tethering that you guys use? Can you have a bluetooth tether and also have it connected to a bluetooth speaker (my car)?

edit: Galaxy Nexus, not Nexus 4.

Last edited:

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: So I am getting a Nexus 4 this weekend - tethering

hmm, I guess it is the Galaxy Nexus that I was looking at. I thought they were the same. My mistake.

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

It is my understanding that since it is a Nexus you should be able to tether via baked in android features.

There are a couple apps available in the play store that allow for non-rooted tethering as well. FoxFi (or something close to that) is a popular one. Open Garden is a slick looking one that I would investigate if I were in your situation as well. Neither would rely on bluetooth, so you won't have to worry about the speaker.

With a smartphone, you may find that you will not need to use the N7 in situations you have used it in the past (playing music in your car perhaps?) as you now have the ability to do that from your phone.

Good luck, let us know what works for you when you get there.

ETA: looks like open garden does, in fact, use bluetooth.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

wow, after looking into Open Garden, that looks pretty cool. It sounds like it connects through bluetooth or wifi, so I will certainly be checking that out. It looks like the app creates a dynamic and ever changing network of devices and net connection. I will have to check this out and report back.

The reason why I wanted to connect to my phone and my car is because I have a mount for my tablet in my car that I use for streaming music and the navigation app Sygic. Sygic works offline, but if you are online, it also provides traffic and weather, so it would be nice to have both. I could just use the phone, but I like the size of screen in the car.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

well, I have already decided to go with Sprint and the Nexus 4 is not offered on Sprint.

edit: the reason why Sprint is locked in is because the plans better meet my wife's and my needs and she gets a discount for Sprint from her work. $150/mo for the family plan. unlimited data/text and 1500 minutes.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

hmm, I looked at the coverage map and it looked good, but there are a lot of bad things about the data speed. Maybe I will have to look into T-Mobile, which does have the Nexus 4 and has better speed reviews in my area.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

hmm, I looked at the coverage map and it looked good, but there are a lot of bad things about the data speed. Maybe I will have to look into T-Mobile, which does have the Nexus 4 and has better speed reviews in my area.

knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

:p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781