N7 as seen from PC (Win XP) has changed

tafias

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I am new to this form (and to N7) and hope you can help.
Till a few days ago when I connected my N7 via USB to my desktop PC the explorer asked me what to do. Normally I clicked "show data" and could move my files around. In the explorer the N7 was listed as device with an own letter. My N7 has been handled by the desktop as a simple USB stick. Last days I installed a few programs to load data via a OTG from an USB stick and to start/stop the camera. Now I realized, when I connect the USB cable, an explorer windows shows up and says Nexus 7 Camera found and shows only programs which handle the foto stuff only and no other files. No way to see e.g. my music and so on. Also there is no device shown as before for the N7. This means, I have no access to my other data.
My N7 will be handled as a camera and no longer as USB stick.
I have deinstalled all new programs, but without change.
Do you have any ideas what to do?
Thanks,
Bernd

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your nexus got switched from mtp to ptp. Go to system settings/storage/(3 dots)/usb computer connection and change to mtp.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The photo software may have installed drivers that conflict with the proper drivers for the N7. Even uninstalling the program(s) may not have uninstalled the conflicting drivers. Somewhere there are instructions to remove all drivers pertaining to the N7 as an MTP device so they can be re-installed. Sorry I don't have a link, but a google search may find one or more.

tafias

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello mr_nobody and Groid,
in between I corrected my problem. During the search for mr_nobodys tip I found an infoline saying the pc is connected as camera(ppt) . With a single click I could change the option to mpt. Mr_nobody could you please explain what settings/storage/(3 dots)/usb means? Sorry, but I could not find it. Even my problem is solved, I would like to keep the information.
Thanks
Bernd

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Settings means go into the android system settings (pull down the menu from the top right and click on settings). Then click on storage, etc.