Why is my battery running out so fast?

BigBoss_13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't do anything except go on instagram, twitter, browse a litttle bit with chrome, used facebook a few times and listen to music for a total of 1 hour since I got my Nexus 7 about 4 weeks ago. I don't have it rooted and only apps that are running is the keyboard and google services with the messaging service. What is the problem here? I'm tired of this!!

L33gPio.png

fwWFR34.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: This is bull****....Why is my battery running out so fast?

I don't do anything except go on instagram, twitter, browse a litttle bit with chrome, used facebook a few times and listen to music for a total of 1 hour since I got my Nexus 7 about 4 weeks ago. I don't have it rooted and only apps that are running is the keyboard and google services with the messaging service. Please excuse my French but wtf is the problem here? I'm tired of this bull****!!

http://i.imgur.com/L33gPio.png
http://i.imgur.com/fwWFR34.png

Try reducing your SCREEN ON time under settings and for SCREEN BRIGHTNESS change to manual instead of auto. Your display is eating alot of your battery.

BigBoss_13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

Try reducing your SCREEN ON time under settings and for SCREEN BRIGHTNESS change to manual instead of auto. Your display is eating alot of your battery.

I did those things 3 days after getting my N7 so those aren't the problem

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I hear google now and the location services eat your battery a lot. But mine is on and it lasts a lot longer than what I see on your pictures. So perhaps it's a defective battery? If it is try and get it exchanged if it's not too late. Check if there are any rogue apps that are on in the background and stuff like that. As someone said keep your brightness as low are your comofortable with, turn off things you don't need like bluetooth if you're not using bluetooth, etc. Do a full battery cycle.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

You're upset with TWO DAYS of battery and still at 38%? It isn't like these devices run on little nuclear power plants.......

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

I was thinking the same thing but I believe the OP is pining for the 300 hours of Stand-by minus some factor of limited use. That would equate to 12.5 days of stand-by assuming every radio, background process, and screen remains unused in ideal temperature and humidity. So factor in a 50% loss for limited use and that should be 6 1/4 days. Factor in processing and screen taking another large hit and you sort of get where he is today with 3 days of useful battery life. As for me, I am getting about 3 days with some moderate use including plenty of background processing with GOOD, a little You Tube use, NOOK reading, some web surfing, a bit of Facebook, and plenty of Gmail - with it in a cold car at times so there is thermal shock to consider too. Oh, and that's with a 32 GB version.

BigBoss_13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

You're upset with TWO DAYS of battery and still at 38%? It isn't like these devices run on little nuclear power plants.......

That's two days total including idle time but only 2 hours with it on. I'm supposed to be getting 10+ hours according to various sites. Also I've been getting 6 or less hours since I got my N7 so its driving me a little crazy.

BigBoss_13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

I hear google now and the location services eat your battery a lot. But mine is on and it lasts a lot longer than what I see on your pictures. So perhaps it's a defective battery? If it is try and get it exchanged if it's not too late. Check if there are any rogue apps that are on in the background and stuff like that. As someone said keep your brightness as low are your comofortable with, turn off things you don't need like bluetooth if you're not using bluetooth, etc. Do a full battery cycle.

How do I check for rogue apps again? And rogue apps don't show up in the "running apps" screen?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

That's two days total including idle time but only 2 hours with it on. I'm supposed to be getting 10+ hours according to various sites. Also I've been getting 6 or less hours since I got my N7 so its driving me a little crazy.

First, you will almost *never* get the manufacturer's claimed battery life. Those tests are always done under conditions that require a unicorn.

Second, their claimed battery life for any category means continuous use. Everyone talks about "9 hours of browsing time, 30 hours of music time, 8 hours of video, and [insert high number here] of standby time" that doesn't mean you can browse the web for 9 hours then listen to 30 hours of music before watching 3 movies. Those metrics are always "if you only did this" your real battery life will be a number based on a factor of how you use everything. i.e. you may get 3 hours of web browsing, leave it for 10 hours, then watch a movie for an hour, and then the device will be at say, 20%.

Third: if the device is turned on, it is using power. It'll use significantly less when you aren't using it, but it is still consuming power even in "sleep" mode, and even if you have WiFi off. If you don't want the device to use any power at all when you aren't using it, you have to turn it off.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

How do I check for rogue apps again? And rogue apps don't show up in the "running apps" screen?

Can I suggest that you post your added apps here. Not those that are stock with 4.2.2 but those that you added via your Google Account or simply downloaded after purchase. Maybe we can help identify notorious hogs. Your OS just seems extraordinary.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try installing Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you if any apps are inappropriately waking your device up many times to do useless things--this can eat up battery. Using that app on my Razr Maxx, I found that Google Maps was waking the phone up many many times during the day. Traced it to Location Reporting under the Google Maps settings--once I turned it off, the frequent wakelocks disappeared, and my battery life improved.

Another option is to use GSAM Battery Monitor or BetterBatteryStats to give you a more detailed breakdown of what apps are using how much battery. I don't have direct experience with these apps, but a lot of people swear by them.

Other things you can do:

1. Turn off automatic sync if it's something you don't absolutely need. I think the switch is buried in Settings/Accounts, but you can make it more easily accessible using Power Toggles or Widgetsoid.

2. If you'd rather keep auto sync on, then you can go to individual apps and modify how often they automatically refresh (or change it to manual refresh). For example, you can set Facebook to manually refresh only, so that it won't be accessing the web every hour or 30 minutes or whatever you have it set to.

3. Keep in mind that widgets also use up a little more battery, especially the ones that constantly update like weather widgets.

4. Does the battery drain persist after rebooting? Sometimes an app just goes rogue and eats up battery, which goes back to normal after a reboot.

5. Google Currents is notorious for battery drain. If you use it, change its updating to manual. If you don't, disable it.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem is with the high usage by the Android operating system. I had a similar problem when I first started up my N7 last fall. I tried to install Google Wallet thinking I had to do so to get my $25 credit. Partway through it asked for a credit card number and wouldn't take the paid debit card I planned to use. Well I was cornered and couldn't find a way to back out so I just quit - but wallet didn't and it was chewing up a lot of battery. Don't remember all the details but I finally got Wallet uninstalled and the problem went away. And later the credit just showed up when I made a purchase.

My N7 uses almost no power in standby. I first put in airplane mode by swiping down from the top right and touching the airplane icon. Then I close my case cover and the magnet puts it to sleep. When I open the cover the screen is on immediately so it has not been shutoff. Then unlock, swipe down and tap airplane. I use Nova Prime launcher.

As others have said low screen brightness helps. Remember that the battery is only rated at 4325 milliamp-hours which is 16 watts. Nobodies battery health is 100%. Battery Graph and Gauge Battery Monitor available free will help you understand what is happening and. perhaps lessen your frustration.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

andriod12345

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I didnt know how to start a new topic or thread whatever. my phone last f****** last 6 min, i dont.what ro do help me please look at the image below

view.php

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=mw4303&s=5<<<<<<<click on this link

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781