Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you think the tablet app ecosystem will be when new nexus 7 comes out?

I have a ipad mini and like it quite alot. There's tons of ipad optimized apps.

I also have a android phone. Lots of great apps for android as a phone.

However, from what I can gather, the app situation isnt that great for android tablets.

I remember reading a article back in 2011 talking about how there was only a handful of tablet optimized android apps. Obviously things have improved since then, but from what I can gather the app situation for tablets on android still isn't awesome.

With the rumors of a new nexus 7 possibly boasting a retina-esc high ppi screen, my curiosity has been peaked as I am probaly gonna upgrade my mini to a higher resolution 7 inch tablet when those hit, and if things happen like they did before, the new nexus 7 will probaly be cheaper than the next ipad mini.

Now, assuming the new nexus 7 does come out with atleast a 300+ppi screen, how is the app situation going to look? Is there even a easy way to tell which apps are optimized for tablets?

I'm liking android alot, but I do hope they catch up with their tablet app ecosystem

What say you? Is it not even so etching to worry about anymore?

Default Re: How do you think the tablet app ecosystem will be when new nexus 7 comes out?

I can say that I am utterly confused by the notion that Android has a problem with tablet optimized apps. Out of all of the apps that I have installed, there are 2 that are not optimized for tablets. One is for Guild Wars 2 for trait builds. The interface is fine and fits the screen, but the images aren't high enough of a resolution. The other is a game that hasn't been updated in two years that was created by one guy.

Any app that still gets support has a tablet UI. Tablet optimized apps hasn't been a concern for Android for quite some time.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    I can say that I am utterly confused by the notion that Android has a problem with tablet optimized apps. Out of all of the apps that I have installed, there are 2 that are not optimized for tablets. One is for Guild Wars 2 for trait builds. The interface is fine and fits the screen, but the images aren't high enough of a resolution. The other is a game that hasn't been updated in two years that was created by one guy.

Any app that still gets support has a tablet UI. Tablet optimized apps hasn't been a concern for Android for quite some time.
    Is there anyway to tell if a app has tablet UI support? Will it say in the app description?

Honestly, I only ever use I few dozen or so of the top apps anyway and some games

Default Re: How do you think the tablet app ecosystem will be when new nexus 7 comes out?

The Google Play Store always has a marketing section touting tablet optimized apps. Many app descriptions will tout that they are tablet optimized. Some apps are specifically intended for tablets and state so in their description. And, of course, many app reviews will state if an app is well laid out for a tablet. But in terms of a specific category for tablet optimized or tablet specific apps, their is no such designation on the Play Store.

However, I think that in many instances, "tablet optimized" is in the eye of the beholder. I have about 300 apps on my N7, both popular and obscure, and almost all look and work fine. Yes, some probably look better on an iPad, but that doesn't mean they look bad on the N7. Also, the 7" form factor of the N7 is more forgiving of apps originally made for a phone then would be a 10" tablet. There are indeed some apps that don't look good on the N7, but with the massive number of apps available, you'll easily be able to find alternatives that look perfect. I think that this is especially true of mainstream apps, as those developers have the resources and impetus to keep up with market demand.

In terms of the future, there's no doubt developers will continue to optimize their apps for all size formats. It's in their best interest, as that is what the market is demanding with the increasing accessibility and popularity of tablets. It's a gradual process, so you won't see a significant change in the app ecosystem by this summer, just a continuation of progress toward tablet optimized apps. But as I said, I think that plenty of non-optimized apps look just fine on the N7.