Getting a Nexus 7 Replacement - Has Google charged you?

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
has anyone here who had to get their Nexus 7 replaced because of light bleed or a stuck pixel gotten charged by google?

I noticed this line in the email they sent me about sending my replacement in:

UNDERSTAND YOUR WARRANTY COVERAGE
You might be charged a portion of your authorization fee up to the full price of your device if our service center determines that the damage to your original device isn?t covered under warranty. Typical exclusions are cracked LCD screens and devices that have been wet or affected by power spikes. Please refer to the warranty card in the Nexus 7 packaging or visit ASUS for details on the ASUS limited warranty.

Just curious. And if they did want to charge me, i'd assume they would call me first right? and i do see it says exclusions are usually cracked screens or wet devices, but the "typically" word is what makes me nervous lol

Also along with that news the replacement they sent me has light bleed even worse than my original so i'll be sending that back to them as well.

Lt Data

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
has anyone here who had to get their Nexus 7 replaced because of light bleed or a stuck pixel gotten charged by google?

I noticed this line in the email they sent me about sending my replacement in:

UNDERSTAND YOUR WARRANTY COVERAGE
You might be charged a portion of your authorization fee up to the full price of your device if our service center determines that the damage to your original device isn?t covered under warranty. Typical exclusions are cracked LCD screens and devices that have been wet or affected by power spikes. Please refer to the warranty card in the Nexus 7 packaging or visit ASUS for details on the ASUS limited warranty.

Just curious. And if they did want to charge me, i'd assume they would call me first right? and i do see it says exclusions are usually cracked screens or wet devices, but the "typically" word is what makes me nervous lol

Also along with that news the replacement they sent me has light bleed even worse than my original so i'll be sending that back to them as well.

I recall looking through the warranty when I went through the RMA process with newegg.com over a DOA N7 and with dead pixels, there had to be a certain quantity of adjacent dead pixels before Google/Asus would cover the repair/replacement. I do not recall any guidelines on light bleed, but I would guess that there would have to be significant light bleed before it would be covered under warranty.

liljew

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I fortunately have no screen problems with the 32 GB Nexus 7 I bought in January, but I'm amazed how many people who report light bleed or screen lift problems (are they the same thing?) have similar problems with their replacements. It almost scared me away from buying it. Sure glad I did. Everything's better on my Nexus than my twelve inch Windows 7 tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I fortunately have no screen problems with the 32 GB Nexus 7 I bought in January, but I'm amazed how many people who report light bleed or screen lift problems (are they the same thing?) have similar problems with their replacements. It almost scared me away from buying it. Sure glad I did. Everything's better on my Nexus than my twelve inch Windows 7 tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Well sorry to scare you any more, but unfortunately my replacement also had light bleed issues, they were actually even worse than my first one. one of the big spots is in the black bar with the home, back, recent apps bar so it was pretty obvious. I didn't notice it right away, but later that night (after having some drinks with friends) i got pretty fired up about the fact that my replacement had the same issues and my wife was telling me to calm down hahaha.
I showed her the spots and she said "wow.... those are pretty bad, that would be super annoying" and i got a nice apology lol. I'll take that as a win.

Anyways, my 2nd replacement should be here tomorrow (according to UPS tracker) so hopefully i don't have any issues with this one. I just refrained from using the first replacement so i'm really ready to get my replacement so i can have my Nexus 7 again...

EDIT: as an update to my original post, they didn't charge me for the first one that i was worried about so that makes me feel good that the replacement was justified

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It stinks that they're still having these problems with some units. Mine has no noticeable light bleed. It has some minor screen lift if you're looking for it (but my parents didn't notice it when I visited and they played with my N7) and it hasn't gotten worse in 6+ months so knock wood.

warmonked

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
One alternative to consider for the replacement they sent is to return your device for a full refund, and then buy another at a B&M store with a no-questions return policy. The return window might be shorter, but it's enough if all you want to check is light bleed and screen lift. And you can just drive to the store rather than waiting weeks for Google to ship you something.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Unicorn, that's what i was thinking. I was pretty pissed that almost a year later they are still shipping out replacement Nexus 7's with issues.

Warmonked, i wasn't sure that was an option seeing as it was a replacement. i figured they would treat it like you've had it "just as long" as the original one you replaced, which for me was since last July.
But So far that i've noticed it was a longer process to get the new RMA started than it was to get the Nexus 7 shipped to me. I ordered this 2nd replacement on Saturday, it got shipped Monday night and is out for delivery today, so that's pretty fast. I'm just glad their process is to send a replacement first, rather than send in the defective one, and wait for a replacement.

Just really hoping when it arrives today i don't see any issues at all!

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I got my replacement nexus 7 today. No screen issues but about a half inch scratch on the silver frame at the top right above the camera. I'm just done trying to fix all this. The screen is what I cared about so I'm just gonna deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678