1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 tethering question (another one- sorry)

Ok, I've been searching the forums (and the rest of the web) and I'm well and truly stumped as to what the answer to my question is so I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out with this.

I have a Samsung B2710 (It has a GT in the midst of that as well, but I don't really think that means anything) phone (specs at the bottom) and I want to know about tethering. I like the phone as a phone (great battery life, robust, works under water- not that I can talk under water, and has a torch) so I want to keep it, the only problem is the internet access is a ball ache to use on such a device. What I want to do is connect (tether) a Nexus 7 to via bluetooth to the phone to allow an easier interface.

I've been wanting to get an android device for a while as I don't want to venture into the closed territory and overpriced hardware of Apple. I've got a touch and what amazes me about the device is the simple things that it won't do.

Now I know that tethering is looked down upon by the powers that be, but I'm not going to take the mick. I just want to check email and other social media with a bit of casual browsing. Maybe the odd youtube vid, but really that'd be rare.

Anyway, I've been reading the internet and I can't figure out if what I want to do is possible. There seem to be some major issues around the use of bluetooth compatability with the Nexus 7 for all devices. If that's the case I may have to forgo the device. I do hear that the problems may be worked around, by simply not using the latest Jelly Bean 4.2, and rather sticking with 4.1.

But even with those problems gone I have no idea whether what I want to do will work.

Forums talk about work arounds and some of the step by step guides have a step on setting the phone up to 'Enable Tethering.' Now i've found menu's on the phone to enable bluetooth, but there seems to be a further step (according to some of the forums) to turn on bluetooth internet sharing and I can't find a menu on the phone that offers that setting.

I did find the bluetooth services menu in the phone which had a 'dial-up' section which states 'Used to provide Internet access for Bluetooth devices via the phone's modem,' but there was nothing in the manual that covers this - yeah I did try reading the manual first.

The only other thing I found was this website:

Which said the following:

Q: Can I use my Samsung B2710 as a modem?

A: Yes, the Samsung B2710 can be tethered to a PC and used as a modem via Bluetooth.

My specific question is can I do this tethering using an N7 and my B2710?

And if no one knows the answer specifically, then my question would be how can I assess whether what I want to do can be done?

I'm grateful for any steer that anyone can offer and appreciate, it's not a popular or well known handset- but I'm kinda fond of the little blighter.

Also if anyone wants to pitch in with problems (or solutions) I've not even considered then feel free to do so.

Thanks,

-------------------
    Specs

Platform

3G Band: 900MHz, 2100MHz
    GPRS network & data
    EDGE network & data
    WEDGE 3G network & data
    SHP OS

Display

TFT display technology
    QVGA display resolution
    2" Main display size

Video

Samsung Proprietary Video player
    QQVGA 15 frame (sec) video recording
    Video messaging support
    Video streaming (MPEG4 / H.263 / H.264 / 3GP)
    Video telephony (MPEG4 / H.263 / AMR-NB)
    User interface: 3 x 4 Keypad

Business&Office

Support document viewer
    USB, BT Printing
    Offline mode support

Memory

User memory: 15MB
    SMS: 1300 SMS messages SMS Memory dependent on useage
    Phonebook (support)
    Expandable memory (MicroSD up to 16GB)

Further Information

Mobile Tracker support

Design

3 x 4 Bar device

Battery

1300mAh standard battery capacity
    Standard talk time: up to 870Mins (2G) / up to 380Mins (3G)
    Standard standby time: up to 610Hrs (2G) / up to 590Hrs (3G)

Music&Sound

Music player support
    64 polyphonic ringtone
    MP3 ringtones support
    OMA 1.0 DRM, WMDRM
    3D sound technology support

Messaging

MMS1.2, Number of Multi Sending MMS: 10
    Predictive Text Input T9 support
    Email: IMAP4, POP3, SMTP, SSL, TLS
    Cell broadcast support
    vCard / vCalendar support
    AIM, Gtalk instant messaging

Personal Information Management

Calendar (Month / Week / Day)
    Scheduler (per day)
    Total (To Do List is Task List)
    Real time clock
    Worldtime support
    Alarm support
    Currency converter support
    Converter support
    Calculator support
    Memo book support
    Stop watch support
    Count down timer support

Physical Specification

120.8 x 52.1 x 17.9 mm handset size
    116.12g - handset weight

Camera

2MP Camera Resolution
    Single, Beauti, Continuous, Frame, Mosaic, Panorama, Smile shot mode
    Photo effects: None / Watercolour / Grey / Negative / Sepia
    White balance: Auto / Daylight / Incandescent / Fluorescent / Cloudy

Fun&Entertainment

7 Embedded JAVA™ Games
    Embedded wallpaper support
    FM Radio support
    FM Radio Recoding support
    FM Radio RDS support

Connectivity

Bluetooth (v2.1)
    USB 2.0
    WAP support
    USB mass storage support
    Internet HTML browser support
    SyncML (DS) OMA Data Sync
    Not WIFI enabled
    AGPS Supported
    PC Sync (KIES)

Call Function

Last Call, Total, Max, Reset, Counters, Set Max, Cost Limit, Currency, Rest Call Cost
    Call time (Last call time / Reset timers / Total Dialled / Total Received)
    Text / Photo caller ID
    Dialed / missed / received calls support
    Multiparty support
    Speakerphone support
    Voice recognition support
    Underkill

'Eureka, eureka, you reek of the cheaper alternative'

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Nexus 7 tethering question (another one- sorry)

I tether my nexus 7 to my HTC Thunderbolt using foxfi, and it works fine as far as the actual tethering bit goes, and I can also tether my laptop to the Thunderbolt using Bluetooth.

Foxfi, which is now called PdaNet+, has a free version for testing that cuts your connection after a few minutes, but is useful for seeing if the app works for your phone. No root is required.

The problem is, not all apps are capable of working over the Bluetooth/VPN connection on the nexus 7. Ingress works fine but floats a "no connection" error on the perfectly-working app. Gmail, play store, and most Google services are NOT working. A few apps work with minor complaints, a very few work fine, most don't work at all.

I've also tried OpenGarden with the same result.

Something is seriously flawed in the current Android network connection libraries and the kind of VPN connection that Bluetooth requires is not supported.

Note that PdaNet+ also supports Wi-Fi tethering for some phones. Sadly, my thunderbolt ain't one of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X
    Thanked by:

The other issue is whether your wireless provider allows/can detect/wants you to pay extra for tethering.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for that natehoy.

That's something I'll look into. I've had a brief glance at the description for pdaNet+ and it says it works with Android phones. That might be a problem as I'm not sure mine is an Android. It might be some awful Samsung own software by the name of Samsung Proprietary. I'll have a look and see if there are any similar apps that I can get for that from Samsung that might do a similar job.

Thanks,

Uk
    Underkill

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi mr_nobody,

That's something that's crossed my mind, but I've not looked into yet as I'm planning on ditching my provider shortly anyway. The question will be more around whether they can detect it rather than if they allow it. This might be a key in switching my provider or staying where I am.

That whole thing all seems like a bit of a cheek on the provider side. I know why they do it, but if they offer a data plan for x per month why it matters what interface I use for it shouldn't come into it. Now, if I was streaming or downloading films and the like then yeah, but in theory you could do that on a decent smart phone anyway. - I'm a bit off topic with that, I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum over the years so I can just go back and re-read the discussions when the mood strikes me.

But thanks for that, one to watch out for if I ever get all my other ducks in a row.

Uk
    Underkill

After , you're right that it isn't an Android phone; it's simply a 'featurephone'. This is probably where the problem is coming from. Between Android's buggy Bluetooth internet pass-through and the likely incompatibility of the featurephone with more recent Android devices for tethering purposes, to be honest I'm not sure if this is something you will be able to get working.

If you're up to it in the future, I would suggest considering a more basic Android smartphone to replace the GT-B2710. If, however, you're going to stay with it, I don't really have any helpful advice to offer.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hi Patrick Schroedl,

That is actually pretty helpful advice you've offered there. I've had the phone for some time now and it might be best to look to switch that up before I look at the N7. It is a shame as it has all the features I want in a phone, it just doesn't offer much up in the way of an in interface for the web. I'll have a scan around and see if I can find any cheap droid phones that are robust and have a long battery life.

Thanks,

Uk
    Underkill

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

On the subject of cheap, robust droid phones with a long battery life if anyone has any suggestions feel free to throw them into the mix- it's all helpful.

Uk
    Underkill

Maybe try a nexus 4. Around $299 for an 8gb model unlocked

Sent from my Motorola Electrify 2
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Hi Hunter Heath,

I have to admit that the Nexus 4 is a very tempting option in all its formats. It would also kind of remove the need for me to get an N7 and tether it. The only thing that puts me off this (and many of the smartphones on the market) is that they are somewhat flimsy by comparison. Still worth consider though.

Thanks,

Uk
    Underkill

Quote Originally Posted by Underkill View Post
    Hi Hunter Heath,

I have to admit that the Nexus 4 is a very tempting option in all its formats. It would also kind of remove the need for me to get an N7 and tether it. The only thing that puts me off this (and many of the smartphones on the market) is that they are somewhat flimsy by comparison. Still worth consider though.

Thanks,

Uk
    The Nexus 4 may not be as durable as your current phone, but it is anything but flimsy. You'll have to treat the glass with care, and avoid dropping it, but that's the same with the Nexus 7 and any other Android phone you may upgrade to. In my opinion, the Nexus 4 makes a fantastic WiFi device, so you could get a cellular plan with relatively low data amounts (and a tethering plan) to avoid paying too much more than you do currently for the featurephone. That is, if you frequently have access to WiFi.

Also, there are a few Droid RAZR MAXX units up for sale on Craigslist/Ebay in my area (Seattle, WA) for around $250-300 USD. The RAZR MAXX has phenomenal battery life and is very robust and durable in its build. Just keep safety in mind when purchasing directly from other people on sites like that.
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Hi Patrick,

The good thing about my current phone is that no matter where I'm going I just throw it in my pocket. It's not that it's indestructible, but I know that if it breaks it won't be a massive big deal to replace it. Had my N7 tether plan come to anything this would have given me the option of greater connectivity or the option of just carrying a phone that isn't too critical if it breaks. It is looking like that outcome isn't a likely one.

Thanks for the Droid RAZR MAXX suggestion- I'll check that out as well.

Uk
    Underkill

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I've done a bit of research on the options and (you may lose any respect for me at this point ) I'm think that the HTC Cha Cha might be the way forward. It's cheap enough that I can throw it in my pocket and go out, say, drinking heavily (it might happen) or head out to a see a band and throw myself about in the pit. All without having to worry about the expensive bit of kit in my pocket. It also has the tethering option for wifi available so I can extend the usage and justify forking out for an N7. Which is a device I'm quite partial to. That said, I am aware that the whole thing will cost me about the same as a Nexus 4 16gb which is one device, smaller, and packs a serious punch.

Bit of a quandary all told- but thanks for all the input, it's been really helpful and given me a lot to consider.

Mind you the way I dither about sometimes I could well end up with the Nexus 5 by the time I decide.

Still open to any suggestions and advice btw, so all feel free to pile back on.

Uk
    Underkill

Quote Originally Posted by Underkill View Post
    Hi Hunter Heath,

Thanks,

Uk
    Can you explain "flimsy" for me please? I didn't like the GS3 plastic so I bought the Motorola electrify 2. Yes it doesn't have 4g but it has kevlar and glass. The nexus 4 has glass. So its made of strong material.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by HunterHeath View Post
    Can you explain "flimsy" for me please? I didn't like the GS3 plastic so I bought the Motorola electrify 2. Yes it doesn't have 4g but it has kevlar and glass. The nexus 4 has glass. So its made of strong material.
    For anyone shopping for a smartphone, almost all of them are going to be flimsy by comparison to a small-screen hard-keyboard lightweight dumb phone. I carried Nokia cell phones for many years before my first smartphone, and dropped them a LOT. Never had one fail because of it, and didn't hear about many people who did. Heck, some of them could be used in a pinch to drive nails.

It's not a matter of quality of construction, per se, but what needs protecting and how much room is available to protect it. A 1" black-and-white plastic non-touch LCD panel with a half-inch bezel that's a quarter-inch deep can take a lot of hits and still work. Damage done to most dumbphones on a drop is almost always cosmetic.

Is it possible to tether with USB from the Nexus 7 to a Bionic? I have pdaNet+ and have tethered my phone to the tablet over wifi. Right now I'm on ICS but I know that JB will wipe out foxfi and no more wifi. I'm running stock.

Any ideas welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by attyple View Post
    Is it possible to tether with USB from the Nexus 7 to a Bionic? I have pdaNet+ and have tethered my phone to the tablet over wifi. Right now I'm on ICS but I know that JB will wipe out foxfi and no more wifi. I'm running stock.

Any ideas welcome.
    Pdanet+/foxfi, Bluetooth. You need to install pdanet+ tablet for that combo to work.

I tried that and it didn't work. I want to know if you can use USB to tether between my Bionic and the Nexus 7.

Thanks.

I was able to do it with my Nexus. But then, I also bought the key for pdanet+/foxfi. That might be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by attyple View Post
    I tried that and it didn't work. I want to know if you can use USB to tether between my Bionic and the Nexus 7.

Thanks.
    The specific answer is that no, you can't do a wired tether between two devices like that.

Bluetooth works great for tethering my Samsung Intercept to the N7. Get BlueDUN for the phone, and pair it with BlueVPN for the tablet.

I have a Nexus 4 and tether it just fine. I use bluetooth but I have also tried WiFi hotspots and that works as well, but I feel that the bluetooth is more stable.

I don't use any kind of software as it just connects by enabling bluetooth tethering in the settings menu. On my N7, I have a tasker widget so I can just tap it and it connects directly to the N4 without having to go through the menus.