Nexus 7 won't boot up after battery drain...

Chespin

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I know there's so many of these threads, but I really don't know what to do.

Backstory:
So the Nexus drained its battery. No biggie. But I did a stupid thing, apparently: switching it on while it was charging. It switched off automatically, but now it won't turn on. If I connect it to my computer and try switching it on, the computer gives off buzzing noises until the tablet is disconnected.

I'm sorry about the overabundance of these type of threads! :(
I've been having a terrible day. First this and then my 3DS' SD card breaks... so yeah, you probs know my mood right now.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you try to start it immediately after you discharged it and put it on the charger? Most devices cannot charge or accept AC power when they are starting up, so it could be that you just drained the battery further, which is almost certainly harmless but forces the device into a failsafe mode to keep the battery from being damaged (discharging a Lithium battery to zero will put it in a state where it is impossible to recharge, but there are so many safeguards in the charging software, this is very rare).

Plug it in to the wall charger and leave it hooked up for at least an hour, preferably overnight if you are patient enough, but AT LEAST an hour. Do not attempt to start the device during this time. Don't touch it at all. Just let it be. This will ensure that, when you try to start it, the battery is charged up enough to complete the startup cycle.

Next, try a normal startup (press the power button for a few seconds). Chances are, now that your Nexus has a well-charged battery, it'll happily fire up for you.

If that fails, press and hold the power button until you see the "X" start to swirl. This may take up to a minute.

If that fails, report back because you probably have an actual problem.