1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Default Use a nexus 7 3g as a mobile hot spot?

Alright I can't get this to work for the life of me. I have an unlimeted plan with T-Mobile on my nexus. Works great but I want to be able to use my nexus as a hot spot. I was able to do it on my original galaxy tab but I can not get it to work on this nexus. Its stock I've tried foxfi and svtp and still can't get anything to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Default Re: Use a nexus 7 3g as a mobile hot spot?

Quote Originally Posted by luigi1285 View Post
    Alright I can't get this to work for the life of me. I have an unlimeted plan with T-Mobile on my nexus. Works great but I want to be able to use my nexus as a hot spot. I was able to do it on my original galaxy tab but I can not get it to work on this nexus. Its stock I've tried foxfi and svtp and still can't get anything to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Does Tmo allow tethering on your plan? If not, tethering functionality might be disabled by default by Tmo.

Otherwise --- this is very simple and obvious but easy to miss and it vexed me for the longest time on my Nexus 4 -- make sure you have "data enabled" when you try to tether. I am assuming the wireless Nexus 7 would have the same option as the Nexus 4 where you can toggle wireless data on or off.

It likely isn't your problem but I just mentioned just in case.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Yea tethering is aloud. There is no mobile hotspot option I can find and data is enabled. I use the sim in a hot spot also wanna drop the hot spot and use the nexus as both tablet and hot spot

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Yea tethering is aloud. There is no mobile hotspot option I can find and data is enabled. I use the sim in a hot spot also wanna drop the hot spot and use the nexus as both tablet and hot spot
    Sorry I don't know. Not sure mobile hotspot would have anything to do with your problem. I think that is used to prevent the receiving device -- the device being tethered to -- from requesting gobs of data from the device that is the mobile hotspot.

I tried searching for this as well but since I own both, the cellular capable Nexus 7 and a Nexus 4, I just use my Nexus 4 to tether to my computers or phones when I need to like if my DSL is not working. I have T-Mobile accounts on both.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

After searching the only thing I can really find is that hotspot was left out of the os on the nexus. There has to be a way to get this done

In all the forums I have been on the N7 wasn't made to be used as a hot spot. Rather since the majority of versions are wifi only they require to use a hot spot.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Hi All

I have a nexus 7 on 3 so I was pretty hacked off when I found that google had remove support for hotspot from the device. There is no really easy way to get it to work but this is what I did.

1: Get nexus toolkit from here.

2: Unlock boot loader
    3: Root the device
    4: Download an app like WiFi Tether Router from play store

Thatís it use you nexus as a hotspot.

There are a few down sides of doing this. Some apps donít like you having a rooted device (Sky Go Flixster) and there are ways round this by doing a temp unroot.
    Oh and void your warranty.

Enjoy
    Steve

I have the nexus 7 and I use easytether to tether to desktop. It works real well. I have yet to try hotspot but that is my next venture. I am also with tmobile