View Poll Results: What should I do

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Nexus 7

    8 25.00%
  • Wait for Nexus 7HD

    24 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,441 Global Posts

    Default Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    What do you think.should I keep my Nexus 7 or return it and wait for Nexus 7 HD.
    Last edited by bitek; 04-04-2013 at 06:56 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    I am expecting a marginal increase and nothing to really get excited about. The screen is already very sharp on the N7, so I don't see why they felt that the screen needed the boost. I would have preferred a quad core processor and a rear camera, but so far it doesn't sound like it is going to be worth trading up.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    I would wait for the sole reason that the nexus 7 will stop receiving updates in about a year, if it follows the normal nexus device schedule. The new nexus 7 will last a couple years. So your new device will feel newer longer.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    What do you think.should I keep my Nexus 7 or return it and wait for Nexus 7 HD.
    First, do you need one before July? Couple of the blogs rumors say the original may drop about $50 and the new be introduced at the previous $199 price point. Now this is rumors of course but I would wait and get the bump up or save the extra $.

    Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Based on the way the last year's Nexus 7 prices changed, as well as memory size, I'd wait six months.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanedt View Post
    I would wait for the sole reason that the nexus 7 will stop receiving updates in about a year, if it follows the normal nexus device schedule. The new nexus 7 will last a couple years. So your new device will feel newer longer.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    please explain ? you mean nexus 7 will not get more updates next year ? really. this policy sucks. i was not aware of it.
    .
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by rxgadget View Post
    First, do you need one before July? Couple of the blogs rumors say the original may drop about $50 and the new be introduced at the previous $199 price point. Now this is rumors of course but I would wait and get the bump up or save the extra $.

    Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3
    I do not really need it. i still have my blackberry playbook which i can use in the mean time. i just like nexus 7. it is pretty cool tablet. but then again i would rather get nexus with 8" screen then 7" screen. that control bar on the bottom of the screen takes a lot of space for a 7" screen. Size of the screen as it is on ipad mini for nexus would be just perfect imo. i am just wondering about this nvidia to snapdragon shift. nvidia is known for awesome performance in games and i am wondering if this change will take hit on high demanding games performance like Real Racing etc.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    to be clear, he means udpates to the Android OS (OTA updates). You will still get app updates.

    This is very typical and Nexus is actually going to be the best about updates, so if OS updates are a priority, Nexus is the best bet. It cost money to develop and test updates for the devices, so they would rather spend those resources on newer models and it would help encourage you to buy a newer model with the newer OS with more features.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    What do you think.should I keep my Nexus 7 or return it and wait for Nexus 7 HD.
    Generally, I tend to advise against playing the "wait for rumored [insert new product here] instead of buying current product now" game because, let's face it, there's ALWAYS a new device rumored to be "right around the corner" and you could literally play that game forever. In your case, however, unless you have a need for it now, I'd wait. Google seems to be on a pretty regular schedule so the device *should* be released as planned, plus the current one has been out for almost a year, so the technology is slightly dated at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanedt View Post
    I would wait for the sole reason that the nexus 7 will stop receiving updates in about a year, if it follows the normal nexus device schedule. The new nexus 7 will last a couple years. So your new device will feel newer longer.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    please explain ? you mean nexus 7 will not get more updates next year ? really. this policy sucks. i was not aware of it.
    .
    It's just a general fact that any Android device will stop getting updates after about 18-24 months. This is due to several factors, but primarily because the older hardware simply becomes unable to handle the newer software versions. By that logic, you could expect that the newer N7 HD (or whatever they call the next generation) will be supported longer.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Generally, I tend to advise against playing the "wait for rumored [insert new product here] instead of buying current product now" game because, let's face it, there's ALWAYS a new device rumored to be "right around the corner" and you could literally play that game forever. In your case, however, unless you have a need for it now, I'd wait. Google seems to be on a pretty regular schedule so the device *should* be released as planned, plus the current one has been out for almost a year, so the technology is slightly dated at this point.





    It's just a general fact that any Android device will stop getting updates after about 18-24 months. This is due to several factors, but primarily because the older hardware simply becomes unable to handle the newer software versions. By that logic, you could expect that the newer N7 HD (or whatever they call the next generation) will be supported longer.
    Good to know. I have not had experience with Android devices. Only with Blackberry and at least with Blackberry they are pretty good with updating older devices. My Playbook got 1.0, 2.0, 2.1 update and is supposed to get BB10 as well. So for two year old device it got many updates. But i can see your point. It seems to me that Android devices need more "horse power" to run smoothly compared to say ios,windows or blackberry. So the more sophisticated Android os is the more powerful hardware it needs.

    do you think Nexus 7HD will come in 64GB version ? this would be just sweet.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    I am expecting a marginal increase and nothing to really get excited about. The screen is already very sharp on the N7, so I don't see why they felt that the screen needed the boost. I would have preferred a quad core processor and a rear camera, but so far it doesn't sound like it is going to be worth trading up.
    Nexus S which was released 2 years ago and would have sold about 300k in total got update for 2 full years.it stopped getting update because the hardware was old.

    Nexus 7 which would have sold about 8 million will receive more than that and the hardware is more than capable

    - - - Updated - - -

    btw, OP wait and buy Nexus7 2
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Good to know. I have not had experience with Android devices. Only with Blackberry and at least with Blackberry they are pretty good with updating older devices. My Playbook got 1.0, 2.0, 2.1 update and is supposed to get BB10 as well. So for two year old device it got many updates. But i can see your point. It seems to me that Android devices need more "horse power" to run smoothly compared to say ios,windows or blackberry. So the more sophisticated Android os is the more powerful hardware it needs.

    do you think Nexus 7HD will come in 64GB version ? this would be just sweet.
    Another difference with iOS and BB, they may update devices for a bit longer, but often you get "watered down" versions on older devices. It is also easier for them to support older devices because it is a closed system whereas Android has many different manufacturers making the hardware.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Without knowing your specific personality and needs, it's difficult to advise you on this topic. However, based on comments you've made, the following seems to be the case:
    1. You don't have an immediate need for a tablet, since you already have the functional BB Playbook.
    2. You intend to play games on your tablet.
    3. You have some concern regarding "future-proofing" your tablet, in terms of OS upgrades.
    4. You desire more built in storage than the current model offers.
    5. You very recently purchased the Nexus 7, though it's not known if you've taken it out of its package.

    Based on this information, the scale tilts toward returning your N7, assuming you can get a full refund, and waiting for the updated version this summer. Why?
    1. Your basic tablet needs are currently being met and three months will whizz by in a flash.
    2. The next gen N7 will almost certainly be enhanced in terms of overall performance, so games should work just as well, and maybe better, even without the Nvidia Tegra chip. I don't know enough about the technology to comment on Tegra optimized games, but my guess is they would work satisfactorily.
    3. Waiting for the next gen N7 means that the hardware will be "relevant" for a full year longer than the current N7. Maybe this also means OS upgrades will be available for a longer period. (Of course, after two years you'll likely be ready for a new tablet anyway, so the OS upgrade capability should be relatively low on your needs list. Also, not being able to upgrade doesn't make your device less useful.)
    4. The next N7 might (or might not) include other enhancements beyond display and performance, such as a rear camera, Miracast, better WiFi, increased storage (a preference of yours), HDMI out, etc, so three months to find out seems like a worthwhile trade off.

    With all that said, there is no guarantee that the next N7 will have the same impact in terms of features-performance vs. value that the original had. It's also possible you'd prefer the materials used and the shape of the original version, assuming there is a significant change. But these are minor issues compared to the likely enhancements.

    The last thing to keep in mind is that other tablets might meet your needs better, in comparison to the next gen N7, by the time summer rolls around. I would at least go to your local store to look at other available tablets, just to make sure the new N7 has everything you want. Others may not provide a pure Android experience, but that doesn't mean that they are not worthy competitors, even if priced slightly higher.

    By the way, a final option, especially if you discover that you can't get a full refund for your current N7, is to use it for the next few months, then sell it for perhaps $125 as a lightly used item, putting that money toward the purchase of the new model. In this way, you get three or four months of fun now, plus the advantages of the latest and greatest later. That is, of course, until the next latest and greatest comes out.

    Good luck!
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Will the HD version have HDMI out?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    I have N7 and I don't worry about updates. Root it and flash ROMs. I beleive that I will have up-to-date OS two years from now. I would even bet I will.

    Either way you choose, you win.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Nexus S which was released 2 years ago and would have sold about 300k in total got update for 2 full years.it stopped getting update because the hardware was old.

    Nexus 7 which would have sold about 8 million will receive more than that and the hardware is more than capable

    - - - Updated - - -

    btw, OP wait and buy Nexus7 2
    ^ this!

    I am fairly confident the entire Nexus line will be getting updates for at least 2 years time. I have an EEEpad transformer that stopped getting updates simply because it has a proprietary keyboard dock that messes everything up. With the Nexus line, they really do not have anything too weird about them - they should remain viable for updates for at least 2 more years. It really is all about the processor tying into updates here.

    And I agree - if you are willing to wait, then wait for the best option!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Do we think that the current nexus 7 will get key lime pie?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisnewton View Post
    Do we think that the current nexus 7 will get key lime pie?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Yes - of course!
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    I have the nexus 7 since release and I'm excited to the new nexus 7 coming this summer. My current tablet will be passed down to my son. Since you have the playbook I would wait for the nexus 7 this summer. Because if you don't you will kick yourself in they as$ for not waiting.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  20. #20  
    iNeedICS's Avatar

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Wait! Supposedly the HD is gonna be $150

    Sent from Squishy's N⁴
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Wait for the info and then decide

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Wait. Maybe BB 10 OS will soon come out along with a new Playbook with 2 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, OTG, micro sd slot, Bluetooth 4, 8 megapixel rear camera and 12 Hour battery. It will bootup in 15 seconds. Then you can run your Android on it and maybe Apple too. You can forget about Nexus then. Oh it might not be this year but maybe next year or the year after or ...... .

    From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    If you can wait the 3-4 months, wait and get the latest model. It only makes sense, IHMO. Pricing will probably be similar, and the upgrades will probably be worth the wait.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    What, if any, improvements have Google and ASUS been rumored to make that will convince a current Nexus 7 user to upgrade to the "newer" Nexus 7? I myself am thinking of going Nexus across my mobile devices a Nexus 4 to replace my currently semi-broken Galaxy S3, a Nexus 7 to replace my iPad Mini, and a Nexus 10 for my iPad. I know it's unlikely but a new Nexus 7 with a rear-facing camera would seal the deal for me. But as no word has been given and some reports have said that it still will have no rear camera, I'm not going to hold my breathe. Though nothing is final until it's announced so I guess I'm keeping my fingers crossed. A Nexus 7 with rear-facing camera would definitely give the iPad Mini serious competition, I'd even go as far as saying it could out sell the iPad Mini. So, here's to hoping.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    bitek's Avatar

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

    Thanks everyone:for the input. I have devided to return it and get Nexus 7 HD.

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM
  2. Buy Nexus 10 now or wait for new generation ?
    By arkarkwin in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 03:41 PM
  3. Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?
    By halimaw96 in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
  4. Should I Purchase the Nexus 10 Now or Wait for the Rumored Upgrade?
    By Astrotrain00 in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
  5. Buy the s3 or wait for the new nexus ?
    By IMPOSSIBLEMAN in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

B