Nexus 7 WiFi issues

Veeshun

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking everywhere for answers with no such luck. I recently bought a Nexus 7 which I haven't had much time to play with. I notice when I try to watch videos via youtube or Netflix they'll play fine for 7-10 minutes then all of a sudden the connection drops. Sometimes it'll drop connection and the blue WiFi bars on the Nexus 7 stay blue but when I go to my browser on it any web page will timeout with a DNS error.

The other times the WiFi bars will grey out, disconnect me, and then reconnect. I checked the router logs and every time they go grey then disconnect and reconnect I get this: [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address. Which the MAC address matches my Nexus 7's. What can I do to solve this?

*Edit* I also forgot to add that I might try another router since I've had this one for awhile. Can anyone recommend a router that has little to no issues with the Nexus 7?

Last edited:

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking everywhere for answers with no such luck. I recently bought a Nexus 7 which I haven't had much time to play with. I notice when I try to watch videos via youtube or Netflix they'll play fine for 7-10 minutes then all of a sudden the connection drops. Sometimes it'll drop connection and the blue WiFi bars on the Nexus 7 stay blue but when I go to my browser on it any web page will timeout with a DNS error.

The other times the WiFi bars will grey out, disconnect me, and then reconnect. I checked the router logs and every time they go grey then disconnect and reconnect I get this: [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address. Which the MAC address matches my Nexus 7's. What can I do to solve this?

*Edit* I also forgot to add that I might try another router since I've had this one for awhile. Can anyone recommend a router that has little to no issues with the Nexus 7?

I am just having the grey vs blue problems on my N7. Every day multiple times a day it will turn grey. Only way I can get it to contact Google Services is to turn Airplane Mode on wait then turn it off. The other way it to turn off wifi wait then turn wifi back on.

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I have an Asus RT-N66U that works great with the Nexus 7, 10, S3, DNA, Macbook, and Windows laptops.

But, before you replace your router try figuring out if you have an interference problem. You need a wifi Analyzer that can show you the signals in your area. I use the app Wifi Analyzer which can be found in the Play Store. That application will show the signals from the various routers. You want to check your home to see if there are other routers that are on the same channel as yours and have a stronger signal. If so, you want to adjust the channel on the router to minimize interference.

Best of luck,

Jerry

Last edited:

Lonelydad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Netgear WNR2000v3 that works great for my Nexus 7 and my son's Asus laptop, as well as his iPhone 4.

I second the checking for interference. I was waiting for son the other day downtown. For the fun of it I pulled up my WiFi analyzer to see if there were any open routers around I could piggyback on. I counted 17 different routers on three channels - unfortunately they were all secured.

skiracer123

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Curently having similar problems with my Nexus 7. Wifi worked for months, then all of a sudden last night it stopped working. I need a fix ASAP since i'm using my tablet as a baby monitor...

BrianForty

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
You don't mention which modem router you have. I have a TP-Link and have no problems, one of my sons has the same and no problems, but the other has an older Netcomm (model not known) and when I try to hook up to his WiFi I just get the sign validating over and over until it gives up and says validation error. The same thing happens with my wife's Samsung Galaxy 2, but her Asus Transformer hooks up OK. It has to be a modem router problem, may be a firmware up date is possible. But take down details of all your settings as some makes delete all the settings when they do a firmware up date.

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

FWIW, I also have this problem at certain locations! It doesn't occur at home (using my ASUS N56U router) or at most other places. However, it frequently occurs at two other Starbucks coffee shops. The exact same symptoms as noted above. I did NOT have this problem with my previous Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" or my previous ASUS TF300T tablet. I did some diagnostics and found that when the problem occurred, I saw many users on-line and several routers on the same 2.4 GHz channel (1. 6 or 11). One morning, I asked the manager if he could reboot the router (without telling anyone LOL). He did and the Nexus 7 connected and stayed on. The router was the one on the at&t service. They have another router offering the faster BHN (Bright House Network) cable connection. I am a cable subscriber so I use that one as much as possible (*much faster, etc,). Never dropped on that router.

skiracer123

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I had issues with the 2.4 GHZ channel on my dual band router which is a Linksys EA4500 router. All the devices connected to my 5.0GHZ channel were not affected and working perfectly fine. Weird since these settings worked for at least 5 months until yesterday. Anyways, I talked to Linksys tech support and we changed a few settings and everything is working again. Below is a chat session which shows what settings I used:

[2013-05-26 13:04:05] Donna (11799): Please change or set the following information for 5GHz to: Network: Enabled Network Mode: Mixed Security Mode: WPA2/WPA mixed mode Channel Width: Auto (20 MHz or 40 MHz) Channel: Auto Please change or set the following information for 2.4GHz to: Network: Enabled Network Name: Any unique name you desired (Ex. ROUTERNAME HERE-2.4Ghz) Network Mode: Mixed Security Mode: WPA2 Personal Channel Width: 20MHz only Channel: 6 Click OK.

[2013-05-26 13:07:48] Donna (11799): Please click on Wireless MAC Filter sub-tab.
[2013-05-26 13:07:51] Donna (11799): Is it enabled?
[2013-05-26 13:08:10] Me: no
[2013-05-26 13:08:18] Me:not enabled
[2013-05-26 13:08:20] Donna (11799): Leave it that way.

[2013-05-26 13:09:40] Donna (11799): Please reconnect your devices to the router wirelessly

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
There is also an app called WiFi Connecter Library. This app does not run on its own but is used by wifi analyzer to help connect. The one time I used wifi analyzer to connect to a wps designated wifi in a public source with the library installed it connected readily. Might help with public WiFi locations such as Starbucks.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678