eBooks - Where are they stored

DonHar

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Just purchased a Nexus 7.
Have loaded File Manager App hoping to see where the preloaded ebooks are stored.for access by Play Books
I often download free ebooks from sites such as Ebooko onto my laptop. I was hoping to do the same onto my Nexus.
Can someone tell me in which folder ebooks are stord on the NEXUS?
Also, what format of ebooks are suitable for the Nexus (I have Calibre - E-book management on my laptop so can convert to most formats)?

Thanks

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Google Play Books doesn't read e-books from sources outside the play store. You'll need a seperate e-book app from the store, of which there are many, if you want to read your own e-books that you're copying onto the device.

Jackedup86

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I also use calibre and have a nexus 7. I use the nook reader for my eBooks and to load your own file you just need to put them into your nook folder. Also I convert all my ebooks to the .epub file type and they work great.

sam_buster

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering where the ebooks go too.
I have just bought a new Nexus 7, and updated to JB 4.2.2.
The only other thing I have downloaded is the free books and magazines (Nexus 7 Guidebook, The Three Musketeers, Treasure Island, GQ, Vogue, and TechLife) shown on my default "My Library" home screen.
I wanted to be sure that I could access them offline as I am going on holiday soon. I eventually worked out that I had to view them as a list in Google Play Books and Google Play Magazines and tap on the grey pin icon to download and pin to the menu. While I wanted the ebooks stored locally on my device I didn't actually want them pinning in to the home page list. So I tapped the icon again to unpin one from the list: the icon turned grey and attempting to pin it again seemed that the book had to download all over again. So am I to presume that if I don't have the ebook pinned it will be deleted from my device?
Furthermore, I wanted to transfer some ebooks from my desktop PC, however when I USB-connected my tablet and explored the folders, there wasn't a Books or eBooks folder, nor were the ebooks and magazines I downloaded on the tablet to be found in any of the folders (they are somewhere on the Nexus though, as I disabled wi-fi and was still able to read them).

Is this normal?

I want to move some .avi videos (I know I will need to download a more comprehensive video player app to view this format) and mp3 music files too, but I'd not sure if I'm supposed to put them in a specific folder or just the root folder?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
As stated above, play books does not read books you get from other sources so don't worry about where play books stores its books.

You need to download another reader app to read your other books. I use aldiko. You can then copy your books to any folder on your device and then import them into aldiko.

Also, you can put your videos in any folder. Then use a decent player like bs or mx to play them.

Quelch

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I use 'Aldiko' eReader app for mobi files, no need to convert, Aldiko works well with epub and mobi
Aldiko is free from Google Play
The Nexus 7 sticks the eBooks in a folder called 'books' or 'eBooks'
I use an app called 'ES File Explorer' to find files on the Nexus 7, when I've found the eBook I want clicking on it brings up a choice of my eReader apps including Aldiko
Clicking on Aldiko opens the eBook and also puts the eBook on the Aldiko bookshelf, I put about a dozen eBooks on the bookshelf so I can easily select what I feel like reading