Lost my nexus 7 tablet

nicky111111111

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Is there anyway of tracing it....also i have lookout installed...but would it still work if the person who has it factory reset the tablet ? are there anyother apps that can survive factory reset ?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't know anything about lookout but if you are rooted, you can convert cerberus to a system app which will survive factory reset. Of course, you need to do this before you lose your device. :(

nicky111111111

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't know anything about lookout but if you are rooted, you can convert cerberus to a system app which will survive factory reset. Of course, you need to do this before you lose your device. :(

If i had installed cerberus would it have survived the reset....and would there be any other way for the person who found my tab to get rid of it ? What would happen if the device was not rooted ? can the cerberus app be converted?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
As I said, conversion to system app requires root. As to whether a thief could remove it, I bet they could if they knew to look for it but I'm guessing most thieves are not that clever...

nicky111111111

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
As I said, conversion to system app requires root. As to whether a thief could remove it, I bet they could if they knew to look for it but I'm guessing most thieves are not that clever...

For future reference what would occur if the thief unrooted the device would cerberus still work ?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know...I think you would need to ask that on the cerberus forums.

[edit]: Actually, factory reset will unroot it so my understanding is it will still be there.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway of tracing it....also i have lookout installed...but would it still work if the person who has it factory reset the tablet ? are there anyother apps that can survive factory reset ?

If you have Lookout installed, and setup to locate and wipe your device, you can do that from your computer. Just sign in to your account and choose the actions you want to take.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for ur help...what do u think are the chances i will find my tablet....

It's been about a week since you lost your device, so the probability of recovery has dwindled. However, as I wrote above, you can sign into your Lookout account from any computer and try to locate it that way. It requires that your device's GPS be turned on. Also, as I stated, you can use Lookout to wipe your device. If you're able to locate your device, you can usually get the assistance of local law enforcement to retrieve it. It's always a good thing to insure your devices through your carrier or a third party. You may never need it, but it you do.... Good luck.