Eagarly waiting Nexus 7 successor, but some concerns...

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I know its too early to really start talking about if the device itself is worth getting or not (probaly will be) but I have some concerns about android as a tablet experience in general.

I love my android phone and its number of apps and experiences, but how are things on android tablets? how many apps are actually supported on the tablet? is the experience compelling to anyone coming from, say, and ipad?

Right now I have a ipad mini, but am looking to replace it with the new nexus 7 if it has a high res screen and better performance. I think this is mainly to do with the nexus's potential cost, which I assume will be the standard 199/249 that the current models are. I cant afford to pay apple tax right now.

But I also dont want to get a inferior experience. so im wondering how people found the android ecosystem and feel on the current nexus 7 and tablets? do I have any reason to worry?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So far the iOS has better TABLET optimized apps and in general better apps. So if you have an ipad mini, i'd say stick with it for now until the tablet apps for android gets bigger and better. With my nexus 7 right now there's not too many apps that aren't different from the phone apps. In fact, most apps are exactly phone apps just blown up to fit the 7 inch screen.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
iOS hands down hast he better tablet apps. Even things like Gmail and Youtube are better to use on my iPad Mini than my Nexus 7, which I really don't understand.

I prefer Android phones over iPhones, but for tablets, well, nothing comes close to iPad. People like to down-talk 'tablet optimised apps' but it really does make a difference when you're using them.

Best bet would be just to try out the new Nexus 7 tablet when it's out, and then make your decision.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
ios has many tablet optimized apps, but that is changing, more apps are updated daily to support tablet now.
thanks to N7 and recently n10!!

about 70% of app i use are tablet optimized

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's just I'm trying to be more conscious of my money, so if the new nexus 7 is going to be close to whatever the new mini might be, than I think the wiser economic choice is to buy the new nexus. Main thing I want is the higher res screen.

I was just worried I would regret it because of app ecosystem on tablet android

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's just I'm trying to be more conscious of my most , so if the new nexus 7 is going to be close to whatever the new mini might be, than I think the wiser economic choice is to buy the new nexus. Main thing I want is the higher res screen.

I was just worried I would regret it because of app ecosystem on tablet android

If the hi-rez screen is what is driving your buying decision you might want to see what Apple introduces around WWDC in June. A retina iPad Mini is pretty likely.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Now, mind you, this is just my opinion......but.....I think you should wait until a new product comes out BEFORE you start comparing it to an ithingy.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I was just thinking the new nexus 7 would probaly be cheaper. And I can always still keep my ipad mini. Main thing I want is a high res screen and faster tablet.

And I like what android does alot. But again, that's on my phone. I'm not sure how polarizing the tablet experience is compared to the phone experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma