Nexus 7 vs Rival tablets

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First and most obvious the Nexus 7 is a pure Google tablet. Your going to get the newest updates first. Plus if this into rooting it's the easiest to unlock and root.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You get to receive updates first and be part of their testing. That may or may not be an advantage depending upon your tolerance for bugs and experimentation.

The point is the Nexus devices target developers.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
fast and longer support for OS.
No bloatwares.
pure Android
freedom to unlock/root.
better support from developer community for custom roms. ie, there wont be any problem like camera/audio/hw acceleration not working like the S3 and other popular phones.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well I wouldn't think of the Nexus 7 as being associated with targeting developers. The Nexus line is what Google develops the latest Android OS on so they receive the latest approved updates by Google. Many of the hardcore developers buy Nexus devices to work on simply because then they know their apps will be built using the latest OS. But there is nothing saying you have to be interested in developing or be a " beta tester " to use the Nexus line.

Check online and your local authorized stores selling Nexus products. Staples, Best Buy to name a few here in the US.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Should I wait for google to update this tablet at its I/O, To get the new one or the older one at a cheaper price?

If you don't really need "the latest and greatest" right away, you can wait for "the next latest and greatest". However, the current Nexus 7 version will continue to receive updates for some time to come. And you can get great deals on it right now. It's a great tablet! If you want, you can get the current version now and sell it later, when the new version is released. The choice is yours.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I got the Nexus 7 so I could have at least one device that was pure Android. I don't use it as much as I should. I use my Samsung phone and tablet more. The overlays that manufacturers put on phones are frowned upon by some, but in my opinion they add a lot of functionality out of the box without the need to install 3rd party apps . For instance, the People app on my Nexus 7 allows me to view Contact Groups, but I can't send an email to those in the group. I can easily do it from the People app that Samsung provides.
I can also plug an OTA cable to my Samsung phone and transfer files to and from my jump drive with ease. No such feature on the Nexus 7. I had to purchase a 3rd party app to get this to work.
My Nexus 7 gets updates faster than my other devices, but one of the updates that was pushed out was buggy. They eventually fixed it. Therefore, updates aren't always a good thing.
If you're not into rooting and custom roms, most manufacturer overlays will provide the best experience for most users.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Whats are the advantages of getting a nexus 7 over something like a Samsung galaxy tab?

Thanks

Well the difference is that a Nexus 7, as most have said, is a pure google experience. No touchwiz or anything. It doesn't have a rear facing camera like the galaxy tab but it has much better software and hardware than the galaxy tab. Up until the new Nexus 7 comes out, this is the BEST 7 inch tablet there is. Plus gaming on this thing is amazing.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/256041-nexus-7-do-buy-here-why.html

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
And, where is the cheapest place i can get a Nexus 7. I'd prefer a 32gb

I've bought two 32GB versions off eBay; one for me and one as a gift. They were brand new in the factory wrappings, and I got great prices on both. I did the bidding thing on both. So I would recommend eBay. Make sure you specify New in your search criteria. Good luck.

PS -- I purchased the gift one first and liked it so much I got one for myself.