Unable to Read ebooks on my tablet.

Riyeko

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The entire reason I got my Nexus 7 was to house the fifty or so books that I have that are all over 700 pages long, that way I didnt have to lug gigantic books around with me to and from work.

I have finally gotten my **** in gear to actually start adding these books that I have downloaded on my computer, and get them transferred to my nexus so that I may take them to work and read them.

I realized that Nexus only reads or "sees" books in "epub" file format, so i was able to get my books on my computer, into that file.

Now, to transfer them.
I have used ecalibri (their online forum to download them), I have tried using email and attachment download apps, and nothing has worked.
I have gotten the files on my nexus, but I am unable to open them.

I have downloaded THREE ebook readers, Aldiko, Nook, and the Kindle reader app.

After that, I was able to find the files (finally), and tried to open them.

My nexus continually tells me that it "cant open file" and nothing else. It doesnt tell me why, what the problem is or anything.
Its making me slightly angry, as this is the entire reason that I bought my tablet with the extra memory, so I could take my books to work and read them, rather than surfing the internet or reading crappy facebook postings during the downtime when there are no customers or work to be done.
But, I am unable to open the book files.
I probably have four copies of one book on my nexus right now under the downloads tab.

Any information or advice would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.
Please help me.

Riyeko

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Would also like to point out that googling this problem has resulted in 0 results.
Most results I get are people redownloading the book file (which I have done), or downloading a different ebook reader application and that fixes the problem.
I have done both (including downloading three ebook readers), and nothing has worked.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If the files are DRM free epubs you can import them into Aldiko. In Aldiko click on the files button and then select your epubs and then import them.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The entire reason I got my Nexus 7 was to house the fifty or so books that I have that are all over 700 pages long, that way I didnt have to lug gigantic books around with me to and from work.

I have finally gotten my **** in gear to actually start adding these books that I have downloaded on my computer, and get them transferred to my nexus so that I may take them to work and read them.

I realized that Nexus only reads or "sees" books in "epub" file format, so i was able to get my books on my computer, into that file.

Now, to transfer them.
I have used ecalibri (their online forum to download them), I have tried using email and attachment download apps, and nothing has worked.
I have gotten the files on my nexus, but I am unable to open them.

I have downloaded THREE ebook readers, Aldiko, Nook, and the Kindle reader app.

After that, I was able to find the files (finally), and tried to open them.

My nexus continually tells me that it "cant open file" and nothing else. It doesnt tell me why, what the problem is or anything.
Its making me slightly angry, as this is the entire reason that I bought my tablet with the extra memory, so I could take my books to work and read them, rather than surfing the internet or reading crappy facebook postings during the downtime when there are no customers or work to be done.
But, I am unable to open the book files.
I probably have four copies of one book on my nexus right now under the downloads tab.

Any information or advice would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.
Please help me.

Why do you say the Nexus7 only reads books in ePub format. If you load the Kindle app you should be able to read books you have in your Kindle library. How are you trying to open them. Would recommend Ghost Commander (free). It will give you a choice in my case Mantano(lite) showed up but the free version of Aldiko did not.

Another question. Have you tried putting these books on a thumb drive and using Nexus Media Importer to read them using the OTG feature of the Nexus? Not sure what the best reader would be.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or H P Laptop

Zapflashgone

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
What format did you start with?
And what program did you use to convert them to epub?
The only difficulty I have ever had with any of the readers was when the files were DRM'd....

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I see apps such as Calibre Companion, Calibre Sync, Leger Calibre ... in Playstore. Would any of these help solve OP 's problem?

Also with regard to Nexus Media Importer, it apparently does not have streaming capability for documents except in text format. Other files can however be copied from the flash drive to the N7 and be used if you have an application which will open them.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
My first question would be where did you get the books from , and are you sure there is no copy protection (DRM) on them? Second question is, exactly how did you get them into epub format, and are you relatively sure they're "good" (have you tried using an ereader on your PC)?

I also believe that statement that 'Nexus only reads or "sees" books in "epub" file format' is not correct. This is totally a function of the ereader software that you're using. The Kindle app, for example, reads ebooks in many formats (although I'm not sure epub is even one them). Part of the problem is that ebooks in general are such a morass of competing formats and DRM schemes, that it makes it very difficult for a consumer to know where the problem lies. It's only easy if you stick with one supplier and their provided reader (e.g. Amazon and Kindle) ... which of course is exactly what the book seller wants. Once you start to mix and match, it can get confusing and there are no guarantees.

The good news with Android is that it's a fairly open platform and supported by most ereaders. So there's a good chance you can find what you need ... but you unfortunately have to know the gory details about the files you're trying to open. If you can give some details, perhaps someone here can help. Good luck.

Rob

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't usually "guess", but I feel lucky..

I'd guess that these books are some sort of technical manuals ("50 books...700 pages...to and from work..."), which means they were probably PDF files to begin with. If so, then that's part of the problem: PDF does not convert well (if at all) to any other format. It just doesn't and probably never will.

The conversion itself could easily become corrupted due to a few things...any DRM, the nature of the PDF and so on.

Anyway, If I'm right and those are PDF files you have, look for a reader that natively handles those. If I guessed wrong, ignore this and move on. ;)

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
There are certainly plenty of readers which will handle PDF files for the N7. Using Ghost Commander you can go to the file you want to open and it will give you a choice of apps you have on your device to use. If one doesn't work or satisfy you can try another. If you search for PDF reader in the play store you can find a lot of apps. Just did this and am now trying UB Reader which has some nice features and also handles ePub supposedly even Adobe protected if you can sign in.
From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Last edited:

Bakera17

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Unable to Read ebooks on my tablet..

I have 40 or 50 books. Have had no previous problems and have read most of them. When I try to open now the "loading" message continues but does not open. I am wondering if my hard drive is full. What do I do next? I download all my books from Kobo