Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By sampoodle
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question How to run one main app and nothing else (to save power)?

I would like to run a GPS app, and virtually nothing else to save power.

How to best do that (beyond turning wifi off)?

(Note that I do have the car power hardware, but I jut do not wish to mess with micro-USB, if I can help it).

Default Re: How to run one main app and nothing else (to save power)?

Remember that Android doesn't work like Windows. Android is designed to keep several processes open in memory in order to switch quickly and efficiently between them. Completely closing out of an app and then restarting it again from scratch takes battery power, which is why task killers are generally not recommended. Trying to force Android to have only a few open processes is futile, because the system will typically load up another commonly used app into memory to keep its system RAM relatively full.

If you rooted your tablet, you might be able to tweak things a little more, but if you're not too experienced, you could seriously mess up your device. If you don't want to root, I would suggest the following to save power:

1. Keep the screen brightness set manually to the minimum level needed.
    2. Use static wallpapers instead of live ones.
    3. If you don't need constant web updates for your various apps but don't want to turn off wifi, set all of the data refresh intervals for your apps (like Facebook, weather apps, news apps, etc.) to manual or to the least frequent interval available. Frequent data refreshes eat battery.
    4. Turn off Location Reporting in Google Maps by opening Maps, tapping the menu button and then Settings/Location Settings, and then turning off Location Reporting. This is used primarily for Latitude, and causes Maps to execute partial wake locks many times during the day, which can drain battery.
    5. If you don't use Google Currents, disable it. If you do, change the refresh interval to manual. Currents has been identified as a big battery hog.
    6. Some antivirus/security apps use more power than others. I found that Avast used significantly more battery than Lookout.
    Thanked by 2:
    mr_nobody and still1 like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How to run one main app and nothing else (to save power)?

Thanks BD, clear explanations, very useful!
    B. Diddy likes this.