Any way to avoid opening Google search when swiping left/right?

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a smart phone so my Nexus 7 is my first "touch" device. One problem I've run into with it is when I touch/swipe/scroll left or right on an app, the Google circle thingie activates and opens a Google search page with a keyboard on the bottom of my screen. Can that "circular" Google icon be disabled or uninstalled or something, or is there any other way to avoid that popping up on me so often; or is it my touch/swiping technique that's the only problem? :-!
Thanks.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Swipe higher up on the screen. You can swipe anywhere on the screen, not just the bottom.

Posted via Android Central App

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
No it's not just you. If you are talking about swiping up from the home button launching Google now there are a number of apps available to deal with this. One is called fullscreen another is called GMD gesture control.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you mean that you are activating Google now (Google's fancy search/personal assistant interface) you can disable the Google search app in settings and then that gesture won't cause you to activate google now. This is what I did with my Galaxy Nexus because I was having the same problem. This of course also assumes that you don't ever want to use Google search/google now. (I never use it so I didn't mind).

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I never use Googleplus, in fact haven't even read up on it, just the reg. Google search icon. Thanks for all of your comments. I've probably been swiping too close to the bottom, as you've mentioned.

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
You can install Google Now Swipe Disabler from the Play Store to disable it.

I installed that app. It did away with the Google auto-search but still gives me the message "You need to select an application to launch" when I swipe upward from the home icon. Any way to get rid of that message now?

buryman

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
It's pathetic. Why on earth do we have to download something to stop something else that we don't want in the first place. The only people I hear talking about it are the journo's and reviewers who get back-handers to plug this cr*p.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781