Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Diknak
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Slow Nexus 7

Over time my Nexus 7 becamee very slow. I couldn't find a cause, so I did a factory restore, and all was as good as new. Now about 3 months later, it is getting very slow again. Is this normal? Does Android get slow over time like Windows? I don't have THAT many apps installed. If Android doesn't normally do this, is there a way I can track down what is causing it without doing another factory restore? I installed a process monitor, but nothing stands out to me as an issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Default Re: Slow Nexus 7

You could try clearing the cache in recovery. Turn off the N7, then hold vol down and power to get to the bootloader screen. Use the vol up/dn to get to the recovery choice, press power to select it. Clear the cache, then reboot. There are also cache cleaner apps in Play store.

I have this EXACT same problem. I really don't know what the problem is. There are things it does fine, like running apps etc, but a few things are always laggy, like screen rotation, sometimes chrome, switching apps, etc.

I don't think there is much of a fix that lasts permanently. Clear the cache, run the lag fix app and that fixes mine for a day or so then it gets laggy again. Agree that it's very frustrating

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, my nexus 4 doesn't get laggy at all and that is kind of why I was wishing for a new N7 to be announced at the IO. I guess I will just be waiting until later this year.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the replies. So is the general consensus that this is an Android issue? That is, not Nexus 7 specific? I thought that Project Butter was supposed to address this.

Yeah, it seemed that some of the effects of project butter were lost from 4.1 to 4.2. I was really hoping for 4.3 to be announced at the I/O in the hopes of this getting fixed.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    Yeah, it seemed that some of the effects of project butter were lost from 4.1 to 4.2. I was really hoping for 4.3 to be announced at the I/O in the hopes of this getting fixed.
    I'm still on 4.1 and have never had any lag issues...also waiting for the next version to see what the consensus is...

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    Yeah I hear that. I was pretty disappointed.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

When I try to get into Recovery mode (in an attempt to clear the N7's cache), I boot as explained, use the volume buttons so that Recovery Mode is highlight on screen, pointing at the Power button. When I then click the Power button, I get the big Google logo for a number of seconds, then I get the error message which says "No command". Any idea why this might be? To get out of this state, I have to hold the Power button down for maybe 7 -8 seconds, then it just reboots normally. I never get to any option to clear the cache.

Thanks.

Last Friday I wiped and did a fresh install of cm10.1 on my tablet and a couple days later, still running strong. Much improved. I mean it's not flawless, but it's usable now. Has a little ui lag, otherwise it's almost as fast as my Nexus 4 now. And I only have 4 gigs of storage remaining, but it's not affecting the speed.

Thought I'd share that might help you guys out!

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts

the Nexus 7 lag issues is terrible. I had it on 4.2.1 and then the 4.2.2 upgrade seemed to fix it.. But for only a few days. One of the reasons why I sold it for the new Nexus 7. Although I went iPad Mini instead since Google didn't announce anything!

Remember Project Butter is an on-going effort. It will continue of many versions of Android.

Suggest you try experimenting with a few different launchers. That's what I did and I'm on Nova now, with no lag.

I use Nova launcher also. I'm on 4.2.2 stock rom, rooted and I have no lag and it doesn't slow down. I do turn it off every few days for a fresh start.

This has happened to my Day 1 Nexus 7 16 GB.
    Very disappointing. Thought maybe it had to do with only having 2-3 GBs of storage left.
    Sluggi.sh, unresponsive, it rebooted itself recently

Full wipe, because it works! Try it!

yeah, I might do a full wipe after the next update, which is rumored to be June around 10th.

It's a shame that we have to wipe the device to make it fluid.

Nexus was lagging, so I did the above- Noticable increase in performance with Google Currents disabled, installed Nova Launcher and now next to 0 lag. Highly recommend you try this before a full wipe.