Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RichardRight
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Play Books Now SupportsYour Epubs

For me the most exciting news from Google yesterday was that their Google Play Books client now loads standard epub ebooks. Finally I can ditch Aldiko and use just one app for all of my non-Amazon books!
    Legobricke likes this.

Default Re: Play Books Now SupportsYour Epubs

Hmmm sounds good in theory...tried test uploading one and it said "processing" for forever so I gave up. Came back later and it said it could not be processed. So I'm guessing you'll be keeping aldiko around unless all of your epubs are pristine as far as google is concerned...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Hmmm sounds good in theory...tried test uploading one and it said "processing" for forever so I gave up. Came back later and it said it could not be processed. So I'm guessing you'll be keeping aldiko around unless all of your epubs are pristine as far as google is concerned...
    I've had no problems getting them to upload

Yeah I take it back. I think I must have uploaded a corrupted file by mistake. I tried another one and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Yeah I take it back. I think I must have uploaded a corrupted file by mistake. I tried another one and it worked fine.

Great so now does the default google play books app open all epubs ? Is there any restriction ?

Well I haven't looked at this recently but you need to upload the epub to google and they need to be able to convert it so, no, I bet it will not work with all of them. Especially drm'ed ones will be a problem.

Yeah I was worried on that count. I have an iPad and have not faced any DRM issue over there and in my opinion Apple was always more restrictive than Google

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO Google Books' EPUB functionality is kind of ****. Not only can you not directly sideload the books, like every other reader in the world, but Google's conversion protocol appears to increase the size of the EPUB by nearly 10x!