Rocketfish MIRACAST stick from Best Buy.. will it work with N7?

toddnbrown

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So much conflicting info out there on Miracast and Nexus 7, Nexus 10, will it work or won't it? Anyways, Best Buy just started selling this Rocketfish Miracast Video receiver (link below), and I quote:

Compatible with select Android 4.2.1 and newer devices
Including compatible mobile phones and tablets for wide-ranging use.

So will it work or not? And what devices would you actually be able to use with this thing, besides a Nexus 4? Somebody really seems to be dropping the ball on this whole Miracast thing. It could be really cool.

Rocketfish Miracast Video Receiver RF-WFD301 - Best Buy

toddnbrown

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
so the people from Rocketfish emailed me back, after I specifically asked if the Nexus 7 would work:

Dear Sir,

This is Oskar with Rocketfish Products. Thank you for contacting us about your
RF-WFD301 Miracast Video Receiver. I understand the importance of resolving
your inquiry with compatibility, and I will be handling your concern today.

The compatibility on operating system is 4.2.1 and newer. Yes, any device
under the Jelly Bean 4.2.1 operating system will be compatible with the
Miracast Video Receiver, please keep in mind that the way to pair the device
to the Miracast receiver will vary as menu options do too.

For Nexus, the options will be Settings->Display->Wireless Display
For Galaxy S4, the options will be Settings->Screen Mirroring

As we are still working with the different sets of menus that the devices may
have, we are still working hard and continuously to have all settings
available to enjoy the Rocketfish Miracast Video Receiver.

I hope this information is useful, if further assistance needed please let me
know or contact Rocketfish Products Technical Support at 800-620-2790 from 7
am to 12 am CST and refer them to case number:13227383

Regards,
Oskar B.
Rocketfish Products Customer Care

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The only Nexus device I know that supports Miracast is the Nexus 4 phone. I have a NetGear PTV3000 Push2TV adaptor paperweight that I keep to remind me of not being a early adopter.

The PTV3000 also supports Intel's WiDi and my new Asus with 3rd Get i5 Intel cpu won't connect with the laptop's single channel WiFi.

Don't see Rockfish or Nexus 7 on the Miracast Cert listed in the links at the bottom of this page.

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast

Last edited:

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I suggest that you just buy it and try it! Best Buy has a pretty good return policy, and if it doesn't work, then just return it and get your money back.

pwmadsen

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, the part that I don't understand is which specific hardware - needed for Miracast - that is missing. Nexus7 has the hardware needed to make a wifi connection (802.11). Miracast is a software stack on top. What HW is missing?

Last edited:

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, the part that I don't understand is which specific hardware - needed for Miracast - that is missing. Nexus7 has the hardware needed to make a wifi connection (802.11). Miracast is a software stack on top. What HW is missing?

The belief is that Miracast requires dual band wifi (2.4 and 5GHz) to work. Very few mobile devices currently use dual band wifi.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The belief is that Miracast requires dual band wifi (2.4 and 5GHz) to work. Very few mobile devices currently use dual band wifi.

The two year old BB Playbook does and I think the Nexus 10 does also. And how about the latest crop of smart phones? So what is the basis for this statement? Believe the N4 is on the list of Miracast certified devices.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

phozac

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
i really dont know anything about the missing hardware but.. i got a chineese mtk 6589 quad core phone, it came with 4.1.1 and i just downloaded a new rom flashed it, and now i got miracast, and i have bought a dongle and it works.. but my problemo now is that bluetooth and miracast cant be on at the same time.. and i want to play games with a bluetooth gamepad on my tv.. anyone got a workaround?

mathomas5

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, what part of "the hardware is missing from the n7" don't you understand? :confused:

I laughed. You are correct, of course, but some people are incapable of listening. LOL

I found even with the 4.3 update to my Nexus 7 wi-fi still no miracast. No surprise. But, I tested the new Nexus 7 FHD 2013 wi-fi running 4.3 and miracast works beautifully on a PTV3000. I just ordered the Rocketfish Miracast receiver from Best Buy because its on sale through Saturday for $29.99 - wow.

Rocketfish? - Miracast Video Receiver
Model: RF-WFD301
SKU: 7511057

So, miracast is device specific in all cases - not related to the version of Android - except it only works on *selected* devices with Android 4.2.1 and above.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I laughed. You are correct, of course, but some people are incapable of listening. LOL

I found even with the 4.3 update to my Nexus 7 wi-fi still no miracast. No surprise. But, I tested the new Nexus 7 FHD 2013 wi-fi running 4.3 and miracast works beautifully on a PTV3000. I just ordered the Rocketfish Miracast receiver from Best Buy because its on sale through Saturday for $29.99 - wow.

Rocketfish? - Miracast Video Receiver
Model: RF-WFD301
SKU: 7511057

So, miracast is device specific in all cases - not related to the version of Android - except it only works on *selected* devices with Android 4.2.1 and above.

It's about the 5GHz antenna! Only the N4 and new N7 FHD have 5GHz wifi support (as well as a Blu ray player.). Under 'settings', 'Display', if there is a 'Wireless display' setting it supports Miracast if it doesn't, then, it doesn't support Miracast.

By the way I tried that Panasonic BD player with a N7 FHD. It worked, but the lag was too bad for games, and video was low quality, and the sound didn't sync up. It was basically a gimmick feature, so I returned it. I'm using Bubble UPnP as a server and MX player to stream video to a Sony BD player set up as a renderer. It works very well.

Thanks for the heads up about the Rocketfish device at BB. I'll try that one and report back.

bsw11

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the Rocketfish Miracast Receiver and a Nexus 7 2013 and they work very well. That said, there is a couple items that would make them MUCH BETTER:
1 - An option to Auto-connect. Right now you have to drill down into the setting menu to reconnect the N7 up.
2 - An option to play audio on both the N7 and the TV - this would be very useful for headset or bluethooth users.
3 - A homescreen shortcut or widget to have a one touch connect option on any of the devices in the list.
I hope Rocketfish sees this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair