Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default What's the difference between an Ipad and an Android tablet?

Last week, i got an Android 4.1 tablet, but my brother is debating whether to get an ipad or android tablet and i wanted to know what the difference was, are you able to get the same apps? Is it the same or something?
    So, what's your opinion & selection, an Android or an iPad ?

PS.
    i want to buy this "Hyundai Hold X700 Android 4.1 7 Inch IPS HD Screen Tablet PC Bluetooth Camera 8GB/ 16GB".

How about it's configration & usbility.
    Last edited by handiyansh; 05-20-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Default Re: What's the difference between an Ipad and an Android tablet?

Really? You actually want to know the differences and you come to a Forum of Nexus 7 users to ask? Can I assume that you are in the US? If so, go to an Apple Store and play with a Mini and go to a Staples and play with a Nexus 7. Finally, it's this simple - if you live within the Android and Google Ecosystem then the real decision is a Nexus 7. If you live within the Apple Ecosystem (iPhone, iTunes, MacBook, etc...) then really, the Mini is for you. If you don't care about the Ecosystem, then you might find that the Nexus is a better bang for the buck assuming you don't care that it does not have a rear camera. One other consideration is that the 8" Mini and the 7" Nexus does "count" in my book. I wish my Nexus was the size of the Mini. Otherwise, my 32GB Nexus for $226 and quad-core gives me everything that I need. I would have liked a rear camera but my phone is always with me anyway. No big deal. I find not messing with iTunes to be a treat. Drag and drop... dump and go. The Ecosystem you use defines everything though.
    Thanked by 3:
    badbrad17RySeanR1 
    Ry, japetty, djjohnson and 3 others like this.

Post deleted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by B. Diddy; 05-17-2013 at 02:56 PM.

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

Despite this being Android Central and me loving (new) Android phones, I still think iPads are the better tablet. I have an iPad 2. But the Nexus 10 seems pretty awesome. The other Android tablets I've researched don't add up to the iPad (yet).

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

I love the Nexus 7 and 10. But I think the iPad is a better tablet. More optimized apps for the screen. More Entertainment choices (better TV watching apps). You can even use Google Now, Gmail, and Hangouts on iPads as well.

It's true that using the Nexus 7 is somewhat more complex than the iPad--this is largely because the Android system is more flexible and customizable. That to me is more than worthwhile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    SeanR1 
    Eduardo06sp and ttwiitch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    I love the Nexus 7 and 10. But I think the iPad is a better tablet. More optimized apps for the screen. More Entertainment choices (better TV watching apps). You can even use Google Now, Gmail, and Hangouts on iPads as well.
    One small qualification-- it's my understanding that Google Now is a much better experience on a native Android device than it is on iOS, due to tighter integration with the other apps on the tablet.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Kumat_Meebrew View Post
    Thank you forum friends many times. But I angry nexus 7 brand tablet harder to use than iPad mini.
    It sounds to me like you would be happier with an ipad mini since negative peer pressure (viz., your neighbor's mocking attitude) seems to be an issue for you, and the N7 isn't doing all you expected it to do). Also, this is your second (repost) regarding your complaint ... click this link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-me-worry.html where I believe you were given excellent responses to your problems in that thread.
    Last edited by Little Squirt; 05-18-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    B. Diddy likes this.

I'm always trying to give the benefit of a doubt. Oh well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Handiyansh, basically there are apps that are multi-platform and some that are for just their respective device. In the end it is personal preference and use cases. I have a Nexus 7, an Asus Transformer, and a work supplied but personally setup iPad. My personal cell phone is an Android phone, Samsung Galaxy S2, and my work phone is an iPhone 4s. At the end of the day I always will choose my android devices over the iPad because for me I can make eithier do what I want, but the Android devices let me customize them to fit how I want them to be to make it easier for myself.

I have a coworker who lives off Apple stuff whole heartedly. He has an iPhone 5, the newest iPad and he loves it and couldn't stand the thought of using Android, but it is because A) He has a hard time understanding basic computer tasks on a PC he has used for 3 years, like Remote Desktop. B) Itunes University, because he has a few college courses left and he will have his degree, so he uses the free downloadable course literature from Itunes U to understand his new fangled college classes. C) He doesn't like change or messing with things, when he pushes a button he wants it to just be there and with Android there can be some setup involved with some things to get you what you want, but then again sometimes with the iPad you can't even get it at all.

So like I said it is really personal preference and use case. I'd suggest he go to a store and mess with both the iPad and a couple various Android tablets as they are not all alike. Try a galaxy Note if the Nexus 7 is too small for what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    You people really think this Kumat_Meebrew character is serious? Lots of broken troll meters on Android Central forums.
    That's certainly possible and if you can establish that this is the case call him out. Otherwise don't call him a jerk or stupid.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRight View Post
    One small qualification-- it's my understanding that Google Now is a much better experience on a native Android device than it is on iOS, due to tighter integration with the other apps on the tablet.
    You are right. However on the tablet, it may not matter as much.

Global Posts
    11,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Let's get this thread back on-topic. It's not the OP's fault that it got derailed, but some of the members who contributed to taking the thread off track should know better. Thread cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 05-18-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Thanked by:
    SeanR1 
    Little Squirt and stevencart like this.

It's kind of like the difference between peanut butter and jelly. They both can be spread on bread and both offer some nourishment, but they each have their own texture and flavor.

The iPad, like peanut butter, might be considered slightly smoother with better consistency by some (unless you're an Apple hater and use crunchy peanut butter in this allegory). But once it's spread it kind of just sits there and isn't that interesting to look at, though you know what to expect when you pick it up.

On the other hand, Android, like jelly, might be considered to be sweeter, and once spread it can keep moving about into different interesting shapes. It might be a little messier when you pick it up, but it can also be more fun to consume.

And whereas the iPad, like peanut butter, only comes in very limited varieties (easier to choose), Android tablets, like jelly, come in many flavors (better to satisfy your specific tastes).

Yes, I know this metaphor is pretty useless and doesn't give you any specific technical details, but I'm hungry and I'm kind of craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich about now. You know what they say, write what you think, or eat what you write, or think what you... . Forget it, I don't know what they say. But I do know I'm hungry and gotta get something to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    It's kind of like the difference between peanut butter and jelly. They both can be spread on bread and both offer some nourishment, but they each have their own texture and flavor.

The iPad, like peanut butter, might be considered slightly smoother with better consistency by some (unless you're an Apple hater and use crunchy peanut butter in this allegory). But once it's spread it kind of just sits there and isn't that interesting to look at, though you know what to expect when you pick it up.

On the other hand, Android, like jelly, might be considered to be sweeter, and once spread it can keep moving about into different interesting shapes. It might be a little messier when you pick it up, but it can also be more fun to consume.

And whereas the iPad, like peanut butter, only comes in very limited varieties (easier to choose), Android tablets, like jelly, come in many flavors (better to satisfy your specific tastes).

Yes, I know this metaphor is pretty useless and doesn't give you any specific technical details, but I'm hungry and I'm kind of craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich about now. You know what they say, write what you think, or eat what you write, or think what you... . Forget it, I don't know what they say. But I do know I'm hungry and gotta get something to eat!
    You, sir, are a genius.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    SeanR1 
    NealJ777, djjohnson and stevencart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    You, sir, are a genius.
    If you thought that was good, in today's metaphor I'll be using bacon and eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    If you thought that was good, in today's metaphor I'll be using bacon and eggs!
    Testify, brutha!

Same apps, the only difference really is the price. iPads are about $700, whereas android tablets are usually $200. Android tablets tend to work better overall (speed, smoothness, etc).
    iPads are just popular with Teens who know nothing about them.
    They like the apple on the back i guess. Overall, Android is the way to go.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Actually the ipad mini is $299 from Walmart right now. Your $700 ipad comparison isn't really valid. Compare the Mini vs the Nexus 7, and the regular ipad vs Nexus 10.

I love my Nexus tablets. I love the ipad mini too though. The level of quality apps is just better on the ipad right now. Video apps too. ABC, CBS, Nickelodeon, HBO Go that doesn't stutter.

I hope one day android tablet apps are on par.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevencart View Post
    Same apps, the only difference really is the price. iPads are about $700, whereas android tablets are usually $200. Android tablets tend to work better overall (speed, smoothness, etc).
    iPads are just popular with Teens who know nothing about them.
    They like the apple on the back i guess. Overall, Android is the way to go.
    tks for ur sharing, this android tablet is cheap & save money. !

IPad still wins the tablet wars. Lot smoother. my nexus suffers terrible lag. My Ipad2 never lags or freezes up.

Sent from my C6603 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dchuk2007 View Post
    IPad still wins the tablet wars. Lot smoother. my nexus suffers terrible lag. My Ipad2 never lags or freezes up.

Sent from my C6603 using Android Central Forums

Try an iPad3. There is a reason Apple killed it after 5 months. The retina display really needed a faster GPU. Plus a lot of crashes.

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    Try an iPad3. There is a reason Apple killed it after 5 months. The retina display really needed a faster GPU. Plus a lot of crashes.
    You know, I keep hearing people say this and feel like they must have bought something different that I did. I bought an iPad 3 in March of 2012 and have never had an issue with it crashing, and display ops have consistently been smoother than my Nexus 7.
    Thanked by:

I'm so tired of people saying the apps are better on iPad. Last year there was a study released that found that apps for the iPad crash more than Android apps. So much for "it just works."

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

I'm not an iPad homer by any stretch. I own the Mini and the Nexus 7. My Nexus 7 lags a lot though. By apps being better, I'm specifically talking about the eBay app, Twitter app. The fact that you can get the Watch ABC, NBC, CBS, Nickelodeon streaming video apps on iPad as well is a major win for Apple. I'd really like the quality to be the same, but it's just not yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast