Is there a fix for the slow battery charging yet?

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all!

My apologies if this has already been answered - I did do a forum search and didn't come up with a recent answer. I was affected by the last JB update on my N7 - the charging time is redonkulous! My tablet died overnight, so I put it on a charger we had in the living room. I checked it 6 hours later and it was at 17%! I've been wanting to use it and haven't been able to, due to the fact that it won't charge. It charged just fine until the last update. I tried reverting to the last software before the update, but I wasn't successful and after being worried that I bricked my tablet, am VERY hesitant to try it again. I located all the original cords (they have a way of getting all mixed up) and I have it on there to see how much it will improve - either way it sucks!

Is there any other fix for this yet? TIA!!

Rick McCann

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
It depends on charging method and charger. USB is slow charger that came in box pretty fast. I have used other chargers some very fast some super slow taking many hours .

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You can also use a charger that gives off a bigger voltage. I used a blackberry charger to charge my phone. So much faster!

Amazon.com: BlackBerry 1.80A micro USB Premium Foding Blade Home Travel Charger for BlackBerry PlayBook, Storm 9500 9530, Storm2 9550, Tour 9630, Curve 8520 8530 8900, Bold 9650 9670 9700 9780, Torch 9800: Cell Phones & Accessories

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

You don't want to use a charger with higher voltage since the device cannot regulate input voltage. And higher voltage can fry the charging circuit. The device can regulate amperage so a charger of higher amperage is OK, but the device will only use 2 amps max, so there is no use getting a charger rated higher than 5V @ 2 Amps.

In theory charging via the dock should be faster since it used the pogo pin connector. But, I have no experience with the dock (too cheap to buy one).

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
You don't want to use a charger with higher voltage since the device cannot regulate input voltage. And higher voltage can fry the charging circuit. The device can regulate amperage so a charger of higher amperage is OK, but the device will only use 2 amps max, so there is no use getting a charger rated higher than 5V @ 2 Amps.

In theory charging via the dock should be faster since it used the pogo pin connector. But, I have no experience with the dock (too cheap to buy one).

The BB Playbook charger pictured is a 5 volt, 1.8 amp charger not the Pogo Pin Rapid Travel Charger also available for the Playbook which is a 12 volt charger which charges the PB at ~2.4 amps. Don't know what voltage the pogo pin arrangement on the N7 is designed to operate at but suspect it is 5 volts. So connecting a 12 volt output charger to the pogo pins might indeed be hazardous to the health of the N7. Since the standard BB phone charger only delivers ~0.8 amps the PB charger has been used to get more rapid charging although this may decrease battery lifetime slightly.

As far as the device regulating current flow would assume that such circuitry is provided probably as part of the controls supplied with the battery and also in the N7 operating system.

Has anybody tried the BB PB usb charger with the N7? May get around to doing it someday. Would like to suggest checking plug in carefully first although there should not be a problem. The BB charger has to data wires connected together.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all!

My apologies if this has already been answered - I did do a forum search and didn't come up with a recent answer. I was affected by the last JB update on my N7 - the charging time is redonkulous! My tablet died overnight, so I put it on a charger we had in the living room. I checked it 6 hours later and it was at 17%! I've been wanting to use it and haven't been able to, due to the fact that it won't charge. It charged just fine until the last update. I tried reverting to the last software before the update, but I wasn't successful and after being worried that I bricked my tablet, am VERY hesitant to try it again. I located all the original cords (they have a way of getting all mixed up) and I have it on there to see how much it will improve - either way it sucks!

Is there any other fix for this yet? TIA!!

You said a charger. Was it the Nexus 7 supplied charger? What are the specs on what you used if not the supplied? Please never go to a larger voltage, no matter what you read. As far as I'm concerned the charger must be at least capable of 2 amps. Anyway no problems with charging here and I'm up to date software wise.

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
It's the issued charger. I can charge it all night and still not get to 100% charge.

Posted via Android Central App

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Suggest getting Battery Graph and Gauge Battery or similar apps if you want to check on your battery more closely. The reported per cent charge for the battery is a calculated value which is based on battery voltage primarily and may depend on calibration for your unit. This is of course useful for you to know about how much time before having to recharge but it is only an approximation.

If you don't get 100%, what do you get?

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in response. I did an rma and asus says they changed our all the insides, but I don't believe them. My tablet was put on the charger this morning at 32% and when I checked it later is was at 19%. I have used multiple chargers and there is no pattern to it. Very bummed. About to ship it back for its second rma.

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
What charger and USB cord are you using? And this may seem stupid, but are you sure that the wall socket provides power? It may be a faulty USB port in the device itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes on the wall outlet. I've tried 4 different Nexus chargers (we each have one), two different Motorola chargers, a Samsung one and one other random one from who knows what gadget.

There is no pattern - sometimes it will charge on my hubs phone charger, sometimes it loses battery while on it.

Plugged it in with 32%, woke up and it had 38 and the estimated charge time was 78 hours...

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - we've done that too. :) I hate that I had the first one in the house, I use mine the most and mine is the one that's wonky... Lol!

And for the record, I've also wiped and started from scratch twice now...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12