Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Zapflashgone
  • 1 Post By smartiekins
  • 1 Post By ItnStln511
  • 1 Post By VoltaicShock
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reading on Nexus 7

I am looking to buy a tablet which will mainly be used for e-reading, web browsing and limited gaming. I read a lot of books and i hope you guys can answer a couple of questions thats holding me back before i go for the N7.

1. ios5/6 safari reader function from apple is a cool feature which makes is much easier to read text. Is there something similar for the N7?
    2. I have books saved on my HD which i would like to load on the N7 via google books. I hear conflicting reports, is this possible.

Finally how is i generally to read in comparison to say a kindle from books to pdf's?

Regards,

Richie.

Default Re: Reading on Nexus 7

A kindle eink reader, not fire, is much better for reading. This is especially true in skylight.

Compared to other non wink tablets the nexus 7 is pretty good. It not quite as good as the retina iPad but better than the mini
    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

The basic difference is in the lighted screen vs e-ink. Some find that the "glare" is distracting, even with the brightness adjusted.
    I have no trouble and like the "kindle-size" format of the N7 over my iPad3 for much reading of my reading and browsing.
    Depending on your HD stored book's format you can even load the KINDLE app if they are already .mobi or other readers for other formats and specialized readers for PDF files.
    Until/unless Apple pushes out the retina screen iMini, the N7 hits a lot of sweet spots for the cost.

That is also one of the reasons I got my Nexus 7, I had been using a Palm, so this is a great improvement. I have the Kindle app, and Moon Reader+, as well as the Google Book app. The Kindle and Google Book apps are mainly for books purchased from those vendors. I also have a great many ebooks on my desktop, mainly in mobi and ebook formats. When MTP was working I just copied them to a directory on my N 7. Since that quit working, I use File Manager to copy the ebooks to my N7 and mainly use Moon Reader+ to read them. I am very comfortable reading on the N 7, regardless of which app I am using. The screen size is close to that of a paperback, just a lot easier to hold. I understand the e-ink is the ideal for reading, but since I also use my tablet as my PDA with names, addresses, phone numbers, and a bunch of info I like to have handy that option isn't open to me. I even have a couple of movies loaded in case I have a lot of time on my hands someday, as well as a bunch of mp3s. All in all, I am very happy with the Nexus 7.

We're not Mad Scientists! We're just enthusiastic!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ok thanks guys for highlighting the issue with the lighting, did not realise it was an issue. I did want to to other things such as music and contacts so i dont think e-ink is an option. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yep, i'm with everyone else. I have a kindle, but I also have an N7. I tens to do most of my reading on the kindle, as I find reading from a backlit screen can hurt my eyes after a while. However, I do still use the kindle app on my phone and tablet - my phone is great for a quick five minute read if I haven't brought the kindle, and I use the tablet if I don't have good light to read by/dont have the kindle.

If reading on a device like the N7 though, especially if for quite a while at a time,,my advice would be to play around with the settings and see what suits you best so as to not cause eye strain. The kindle app (and I assume other e reading apps) let's you pick between normal black on white, black on sepia and white on black. For me, I find the latter two hurt my eyes much less, even though they are less book like. I also try to have the screen on the lowest brightness that still allows me to see clearly.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Yes, the Nexus 7 is an excellent ereader.

I am now using the Nexus 7 for reading since I can now upload my DRM free books.

https://support.google.com/googlepla.../3097151?hl=en

https://play.google.com/books/uploads

I have a Kindle Touch and a Nexus 7. Since getting the N7 (last August), I do 90% of my reading on it. Most of the time I am indoors, so sunlight isn't an issue. However, this summer, I'll be reading on our lake dock (that is, if it EVER warms up around here!), and I'll use my Touch then. A few weeks ago, my N7 died (grandson dropped it and the screen cracked) and I used my Touch until I replaced it. I didn't enjoy reading on the Touch nearly as much as the N7. I'm a pretty heavy reader (I go through more than a book a week easily), and the screen doesn't bother my eyes, but everyone is different. I use the black background/white text, which is nice, especially at night.

I use this thing called a hard cover book. It has this stuff in it called paper that is bound between two hard covers. It works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    I use this thing called a hard cover book. It has this stuff in it called paper that is bound between two hard covers. It works pretty well.
    So, it's YOU that is causing all the trees to be cut down in the Amazon Rain Forest
    Just so you can read your 'Dead Tree Books'
    Shame, Shame, Shame !

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Good for you. But they don't work very well in the dark, and it is cumbersome to carry lots of them around with you, and some of them can be quite heavy. One time I actually bought ebook copies of books I borrowed from the library because the paperbacks were too heavy and bulky to comfortably read in bed.