Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bluetooth Tethering (Older phone DUN) question

I have several devices that I can tether with bluetooth to my Samsung A877, but my brand new Nexus 7 won't work. I pair them and there seems to be no profile information. The only setting options I have are to unpair or rename it.

Is this a bug or is there no support for the older dial up network (DUN) protocol in Nexus 7 4.2.2?

Any insight into this problem would be helpful. I spent 30 minutes on the google play help line. They told me the problem "was outside their scope of support". I spent 15 minutes trying to get through the Google Android support only to find "we have no live support at this time". Then I spent 30 minutes on the phone with ASUS whose systems were down, but they tried to help with no luck.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Bluetooth Tethering (Older phone DUN) question

Does any one know? Is BT tethering broken on 4.2.2?

I know the bluethooth with 4.2 got messed up pretty bad since they had to make a lot of modifications for the multiple profile stuff, so it is very possible that is what is causing the problem.

I use "Portable Wi-Fi Tethering" it is wi-fi not bluetooth since it supported upto JellyBean on both the N7 & phone. Some of the bluetooth tethering app in the past didn't didn't support ICS or Jellybean on the phones. Since I keep the Wi-Fi on anyway trying to pick up free access it was the right choice for me.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I really need Bluetooth tethering as my phone doesn't support wifi. I can tether my ubuntu laptop to my phone, then set it up as an WIFI AP and bridge the connection. This allows me to connect my Nexus via wifi to my laptop via Bluetooth to my phone. It is the only way I can get my Nexus on the internet. It is quite slow and I have to have my laptop on, which sucks. This should work no problem over bluetooth. My old Nokia N800 can do it, why not my Nexus 7?!

Had the same issue and after much poking about found that this works like a charm:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bluexvpn&hl=en

have to do some tinkering to set the setting that exist on the phone into the app on android tablet, but then it just works.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It's now been a year and we are at 4.4.4 and I still can not tether via DUN with my Nexus 7.

My phones do not allow me to install apps or gateways, so I need the Nexus just to recognize the DUN service and use it. This shouldn't be a problem. I've done it with other Linux platforms that are much older than Android (Nokia's Maemo for one).

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is with Android and DUN tethering?