Nexus 7 - Youtube app issue & Android keyboard not working

1Stirling

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully this is the right place for this :)

Regardless, all has been pretty fine with my Nexus 7 for the half-dozen weeks I've owned it (apart from, yesterday, a keyboard error in some apps that resulted in the use of the space key breaking the keyboard, but a reboot seems to have fixed that).

Now, I opened up the Youtube app earlier and found that selecting a video would result in a second or so of normal loading, followed by the app reverting back to the What to Watch section. Going by the success I had with the keyboard error the day before, I rebooted to see if that would mend the problem, which it didn't.

I subsequently decided to look up the issue using the device, and found that I couldn't because tapping any text field would result in 'Android keyboard has stopped working'. I tried using the keyboard in a number of apps (including those not affected by the earlier spacebar issue) and found the exact same problem. I don't know if this latter issue only came up after the reboot because I never tried to make use of the keyboard in the time between me finding the Youtube issue and rebooting. This all unfolded within the last hour.

Seeing as both of these issues (seem to) have surfaced at exactly the same time, I'm assuming they might be related in some way. Here I am, then (on a big ol'-fashioned desktop :p), to see if I can get some advice.

Thanks!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Yes, this is the right place to vent your frustrations and seek answers to life and/or the Nexus 7. I don't really have an answer for you, but do have a suggestion.

Clear the cache of the keyboard you are using. Assuming it's the stock Android keyboard, go to system Settings > Apps > All (swipe left to get to the All category) > Android Keyboard. Then tap the clear cache button. Obviously, if you are using a different keyboard, do the same thing, but under the name of the keyboard you are using. You might also want to do the same thing for the YouTube app.

If you are use the stock Android keyboard, you might want to try a 3rd party keyboard instead. There are quite a few from which to choose, so it really depends on your personal needs and taste as to which is right for you.

SwiftKey is one of the best and most popular keyboards, and the one I use most of the time. It costs money, but you can test it for free for 30 days. It also seems to go on sale a couple times a year.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ouchtype.swiftkey.tablet.trial&token=U133tcBt

Swype is another popular option and I think it's only $0.99 (it was a few weeks ago when I bought it). It also has a 30 day trial version. I like SwiftKey better, but that's mostly because it's very difficult to switch to a new keyboard once you've gotten used to one.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.nuance.swype.trial&token=i8HrmfgX

There are also many free keyboards. One that I've used and think is pretty good for the price is Hacker's Keyboard.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...g.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard&token=HfijoJPj

Or choose from a few dozen others!

Last edited:

1Stirling

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried clearing the cache for both apps, but unfortunately to no avail.

I had a look on the Google Play store on the device itself (not using the search engine, instead just looking at lists of popular apps). It seems like all sorts of glitches have surfaced on top of the Keyboard and Youtube ones. Opening a screenshot in the Play store closes the app, for instance.

I've no idea what could've caused these issues across various apps so suddenly like this. I haven't updated or installed anything for a few days. I'm thinking maybe I'll go for a factory reset in a day or so if I can't solve all this beforehand. It wouldn't be a very big loss to do so.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried clearing the cache for both apps, but unfortunately to no avail.

I had a look on the Google Play store on the device itself (not using the search engine, instead just looking at lists of popular apps). It seems like all sorts of glitches have surfaced on top of the Keyboard and Youtube ones. Opening a screenshot in the Play store closes the app, for instance.

I've no idea what could've caused these issues across various apps so suddenly like this. I haven't updated or installed anything for a few days. I'm thinking maybe I'll go for a factory reset in a day or so if I can't solve all this beforehand. It wouldn't be a very big loss to do so.

Try Settings>Storage>Wait for calculations>Tap cached data>then 'OK' to clear cache for all apps. If that doesn't work I would try the factory reset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

1Stirling

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Gave that a go and again, no good.

I'll go for the factory reset tomorrow, then - it's getting a bit late here. I'll report back then and let you know if that does the trick :)

1Stirling

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, you may not believe this because I scarcely do myself, but here goes:

I powered the thing off before bed last night, and powered it back on this morning. It got to the X screen during booting and was stuck there. There were still animation effects around the aforementioned X, but no progress towards fully booting up. I knew it's possible to do a factory reset even without the device booting properly so I wasn't too concerned, although I was a bit amazed at how quickly the device had gone downhill.

Fast forward to a few minutes ago, after I had looked up and memorised how to perform the factory reset using just the power and volume buttons during the booting sequence. I restarted it, missed my cue on the volume-down button, and was promptly faced with the X screen again. I gave that a minute or two, just to see if the thing would make it past this stage on this second attempt, but, as expected, no joy.

I tried again, holding down the power button to make it restart, then immediately holding down the volume key when it had done. Again, I must have buggered it up somehow as it proceeded to the X screen again. Knowing that giving it another chance to boot normally would be pointless, I went straight for the power button to restart it. Suddenly, as I press it, the box that pops up when you hold the power button from the main fully-booted-up screen appears, and my home screen live wallpaper materialises behind it. Jumping at this opportunity, I tapped the background to exit that menu, Swipe the padlock thingumy to unlock it, and there's my home screen!

I took the opportunity to scribble down a few notes I'd made with on the device, having neglected to do so the previous evening (because I didn't expect a booting problem :p). With that safely done, I decide to test if my original problems had magically mended themselves and, lo and behold, they had!

It seems all my problems have inexplicably fixed themselves: I tried YouTube first - tapping a video plays it as normal, whereas earlier that action would have resulted in a diversion back to the What to Watch screen. Next I tapped on YouTube's search box - up comes the keyboard, fully functional. Finally I open Google Play, select a random app and open some screenshots - no abnormal happenings whatsoever.

Whether or not this bizarre series of events is now at an end for good, I can't say. Hopefully this magical fully-functionalness will last, though :)

Thanks again, everyone!

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, you may not believe this because I scarcely do myself, but here goes:

I powered the thing off before bed last night, and powered it back on this morning. It got to the X screen during booting and was stuck there. There were still animation effects around the aforementioned X, but no progress towards fully booting up. I knew it's possible to do a factory reset even without the device booting properly so I wasn't too concerned, although I was a bit amazed at how quickly the device had gone downhill.

Fast forward to a few minutes ago, after I had looked up and memorised how to perform the factory reset using just the power and volume buttons during the booting sequence. I restarted it, missed my cue on the volume-down button, and was promptly faced with the X screen again. I gave that a minute or two, just to see if the thing would make it past this stage on this second attempt, but, as expected, no joy.

I tried again, holding down the power button to make it restart, then immediately holding down the volume key when it had done. Again, I must have buggered it up somehow as it proceeded to the X screen again. Knowing that giving it another chance to boot normally would be pointless, I went straight for the power button to restart it. Suddenly, as I press it, the box that pops up when you hold the power button from the main fully-booted-up screen appears, and my home screen live wallpaper materialises behind it. Jumping at this opportunity, I tapped the background to exit that menu, Swipe the padlock thingumy to unlock it, and there's my home screen!

I took the opportunity to scribble down a few notes I'd made with on the device, having neglected to do so the previous evening (because I didn't expect a booting problem :p). With that safely done, I decide to test if my original problems had magically mended themselves and, lo and behold, they had!

It seems all my problems have inexplicably fixed themselves: I tried YouTube first - tapping a video plays it as normal, whereas earlier that action would have resulted in a diversion back to the What to Watch screen. Next I tapped on YouTube's search box - up comes the keyboard, fully functional. Finally I open Google Play, select a random app and open some screenshots - no abnormal happenings whatsoever.

Whether or not this bizarre series of events is now at an end for good, I can't say. Hopefully this magical fully-functionalness will last, though :)

Thanks again, everyone!

Glad to hear it. Sometimes software sorts itself out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1