In Email app: addressing to a group from my People contacts

freedda

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have created a group from email addresses in the 'People' (contacts) app. When I open up the Email app (not Gmail) and start to type in a name, it looks from my list in Contacts and offers some choices. However, if I type the name of a Group, it doesn't show anything; in fact, it seems like there is no way of addressing an email to a group.

Can anyone tell me how I might go about doing this?

Regards, David.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
hello david

have you noticed there are 3 tabs in people. groups , all, favorites. when you click on groups do you see the group you created? i wonder where the group you dont see in the list is.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a known deficiency of emailing from Android: no built-in group email option. I use an app called Gmail Group Share, but as its name implies, it's only for Gmail. I use another app on my phone called Contacts GroupU, which I think is compatible with the Email app, but for some reason, it isn't compatible with the N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

freedda

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks b.diddy. that is what I suspected. I'm finding these 'deficencies' a lot with this device and it's very frustrating. I guess I expect more from Google, that instead of messing with 'siri' type b.s. they would make apps that work better, instead of being barely passible. I wonder if they have a place where they take ideas or feedback? D.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I know you're talking about the stock Email app, but since this is a problem with the Gmail app as well, you could open Gmail, tap the menu button, and tap "Send feedback." Then give 'em hell! Well, politely, of course.;)

Frank_B#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
B. Diddy:

I tried Gmail Group Share. It works -- on the default account.

I keep all my contacts in my default account as this simplifies my life. I have well over 500 contacts. However, I often email from one of 5 others that I have depending on the purpose of my email. Gmail Group Share will allow me to select a group from another account -- if I have that group defined in THAT account. I cannot email from account B using a group that I have defined in account A.

For me this is a deal breaker, though this may not be the case with many others. I have gone back to doing group emails only from my laptop.

However, the app does what it says. AFAIK, it is the only one that will do this.

Frank.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's unfortunate. I'm not quite sure why Google hasn't built this function into mobile Gmail or Email yet.

Frank_B#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
B. Diddy:

That's unfortunate. I'm not quite sure why Google hasn't built this function into mobile Gmail or Email yet.

Yeah, really is unfortunate. But, like most things Android, I am sure that it will get resolved eventually, either through a third party app (there are others in development), or via GMail for Android itself.

I did post feedback on the Android GMail app requesting the feature. :)

Frank.