I have created a group from email addresses in the 'People' (contacts) app. When I open up the Email app (not Gmail) and start to type in a name, it looks from my list in Contacts and offers some choices. However, if I type the name of a Group, it doesn't show anything; in fact, it seems like there is no way of addressing an email to a group.

Can anyone tell me how I might go about doing this?

Regards, David.
    06-04-2013 09:33 AM
    hello david

have you noticed there are 3 tabs in people. groups , all, favorites. when you click on groups do you see the group you created? i wonder where the group you dont see in the list is.
    06-04-2013 10:03 AM
    This is a known deficiency of emailing from Android: no built-in group email option. I use an app called Gmail Group Share, but as its name implies, it's only for Gmail. I use another app on my phone called Contacts GroupU, which I think is compatible with the Email app, but for some reason, it isn't compatible with the N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    MJKearney likes this.
    06-04-2013 10:49 AM
    Thanks b.diddy. that is what I suspected. I'm finding these 'deficencies' a lot with this device and it's very frustrating. I guess I expect more from Google, that instead of messing with 'siri' type b.s. they would make apps that work better, instead of being barely passible. I wonder if they have a place where they take ideas or feedback? D.
    06-04-2013 08:27 PM
    I know you're talking about the stock Email app, but since this is a problem with the Gmail app as well, you could open Gmail, tap the menu button, and tap "Send feedback." Then give 'em hell! Well, politely, of course.
    06-04-2013 09:51 PM
    B. Diddy:

I tried Gmail Group Share. It works -- on the default account.

I keep all my contacts in my default account as this simplifies my life. I have well over 500 contacts. However, I often email from one of 5 others that I have depending on the purpose of my email. Gmail Group Share will allow me to select a group from another account -- if I have that group defined in THAT account. I cannot email from account B using a group that I have defined in account A.

For me this is a deal breaker, though this may not be the case with many others. I have gone back to doing group emails only from my laptop.

However, the app does what it says. AFAIK, it is the only one that will do this.

Frank.
    04-16-2014 08:48 PM
    That's unfortunate. I'm not quite sure why Google hasn't built this function into mobile Gmail or Email yet.
    04-17-2014 12:08 AM
    B. Diddy:

That's unfortunate. I'm not quite sure why Google hasn't built this function into mobile Gmail or Email yet.
    Yeah, really is unfortunate. But, like most things Android, I am sure that it will get resolved eventually, either through a third party app (there are others in development), or via GMail for Android itself.

I did post feedback on the Android GMail app requesting the feature.

Frank.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-17-2014 08:57 AM