Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GMail Update - Thumbs Down (Solved)

It seems that it takes 2 steps to delete a message. I didn't see a garbage can but had to go to the 3 buttons and hit delete. 2 steps to delete message.

Also several versions of inbox display - priority, update, etc.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by lmvine; 06-08-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: GMail Update - Thumbs Down

You can set it up to delete by simply swiping away the email.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

You can also enable the delete button in the settings menu so you don't have to use the three dots.
    Thanked by:
    lmvine 

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    You can also enable the delete button in the settings menu so you don't have to use the three dots.
    Where do you see that? I can't find that particular option.

To the OP, I wanted to elaborate on my previous post:

1. Open Gmail, tap the menu button, and select Settings/General settings.
    2. Tap "Archive & delete actions," and select "Show delete only" (unless you really prefer to archive all of your emails).
    3. Then make sure "Swipe to delete" is checked.

Now when you swipe away an email in your inbox, it will be sent to the Trash.
    Thanked by 2:
    GregMargie and lucky87ad like this.

settings>general settings

The very top option is titled "Archive & delete actions"

change that to "Show archive & delete"

Now, when you long press on an email, it shows the trash can as well as the archive button.

Quote Originally Posted by lmvine View Post
    It seems that it takes 2 steps to delete a message. I didn't see a garbage can but had to go to the 3 buttons and hit delete. 2 steps to delete message.

Am I missing something?
    Thank you for posting as this was my exact feelings!

Thank you to the other members that posted how to change the settings! Truly appreciate it!

Margie
    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    settings>general settings

The very top option is titled "Archive & delete actions"

change that to "Show archive & delete"

Now, when you long press on an email, it shows the trash can as well as the archive button.
    Oh, I see what you mean. But that still requires 2 steps to delete (long press and then tap delete), which is what was bothering the OP. Swiping away the message is only one step.

This is why I use Zeus Email App.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I have another question re the gmail update. I know I'm in the minority but I really hate it on my Nexus--don't like all the colorful tabs. Is there a way that I can revert back to the old gmail look on the Nexus. I know how to do it on my computer but can't figure out how to do it on the Nexus. I've tried uninstalling gmail and when I do, I'm asked if I want to install "the factory installation." When I do, gmail is back to the old look but gmail keeps updating on its own! So I uninstall, install factory version then...gmail soon updates itself. I can't find how to keep gmail from auto updating OR find the setting (if there is one) on the new gmail version to go back to the old version. Any thoughts?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by nikithet View Post
    I have another question re the gmail update. I know I'm in the minority but I really hate it on my Nexus--don't like all the colorful tabs. Is there a way that I can revert back to the old gmail look on the Nexus. I know how to do it on my computer but can't figure out how to do it on the Nexus. I've tried uninstalling gmail and when I do, I'm asked if I want to install "the factory installation." When I do, gmail is back to the old look but gmail keeps updating on its own! So I uninstall, install factory version then...gmail soon updates itself. I can't find how to keep gmail from auto updating OR find the setting (if there is one) on the new gmail version to go back to the old version. Any thoughts?
    In settings under general settings uncheck sender image.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Another issue is the number of inboxes - primary, priority, update. I only want one inbox option that shows ALL the messages but can't seem to find it.
    Well I think I found it. Under settings tick on mail address and under categories untick all except starred. Then you should have an inbox that just says inbox.

Thanks Imvine. So far gmail hasn't automatically updated again but when it does, I'll try your suggestions. Appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by lmvine View Post

Am I missing something?

Not sure about your settings but on my new version :

In the inbox view, just tap the picture or icon of the message and the top of the screen changes to offer all the old options including delete.
    You can tap more than one email and bulk delete.

In the read an email window the same options are at the top of the screen.

I personally find the new version better & more user friendly in every way. Google could however, do a better job of defining new features to shorten the learning process - most casual users never delve into setup menus.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by maxman1 View Post
    Google could however, do a better job of defining new features to shorten the learning process - most casual users never delve into setup menus.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
    Exactly right. I don't want to have to spend a lot of time configuring my N7, I want to use it.
    Here is a link for setting up the new Gmail on Android

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Oh, I see what you mean. But that still requires 2 steps to delete (long press and then tap delete), which is what was bothering the OP. Swiping away the message is only one step.

if you make "Show delete only" like you mentioned on your post above,a delete icon appears on top when you select a message.
    its just 1 step not 2

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    if you make "Show delete only" like you mentioned on your post above,a delete icon appears on top when you select a message.
    its just 1 step not 2
    True. I guess I was thinking in terms of the number of taps necessary. Selecting the message and then tapping the delete icon is 2 taps, while swiping away a message to delete is really just one. I know, splitting hairs ...

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: GMail Update - Thumbs Down (Solved)

My issue isn't exactly the same as the OP's but I'm tearing my hair out so here goes:
    See the Screenshot:

I have read all the emails but it still shows me that I have some unread. It's driving me mad. Also the web version doesn't show these to be unread....
    -_-

Edit: The mobile website displayed the same so I went and marked them as read. Now it's fine.
    But then the question arises that reading on the app doesn't mark the as read everywhere else. That's why it keeps happening.
    Bug maybe?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta