Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MJKearney
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ads in Dream?

When going into Dream (the screen saver thing) I use my photo gallery. I noticed today advertisements showing up periodically. Is this new and if so, can I stop it? I didnt spend 200 bucks on a device to be advertised to. I mean I dont mind the adds in the free apps I get, but not in the actual built in software and hardware I paid for.

Default Re: Ads in Dream?

Get used to ads in Google apps on devices. Google has recently banned all add blocking apps from the Play store. It part of the company's maturation from startup to a main line technology company in which business units must provide appropriate levels of revenue, and Google makes money from ads.

I don't use day dream so wouldn't know if they have started including ads, but is it possible that daydream is picking up ads that have been downloaded by some app you have installed?

To test what comes up I left daydream running for 10 minutes, and was surprised by some of the pictures that came up (but I saw no ads), it seems I'd accidentally taken quite a few screenshots without realizing. Maybe it is worth having a look through the assorted files in the Gallery app to see what files are actually being used for daydream. I would certainly be surprised if Google started putting ads in something like daydream, and it being the result of some other apps behaviour seems mute likely to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

There is no huge conspiracy to turn innocent start ups into grand, corporate overlords whose only desire is to irritate the hell out of you with ads in the Daydream mode. Such innocent start ups will certainly eventually push advertising or some other revenue creating scheme in front of you in some way, but this is so they can do this terrible thing called staying in business by making a profit. Such loss of revenue virginity doesn't make them evil, just less at risk of disappearing.

Anyway, some apps come with or download ad images into specific folders, which are then considered to be like any other image on your N7 and are part of your photo gallery. If you've chosen all available folders that contain images to be displayed in the Daydream settings, then any ad images already on your device will occasionally be shown. To fix this, go the the Daydream settings for the photo wall and deselect the folders that contain the images you don't want. You can also find and delete those images or folders using a file manager or the Gallery or other image viewing/management app.
    Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze, still1 and Ribs85 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    There is no huge conspiracy to turn innocent start ups into grand, corporate overlords whose only desire is to irritate the hell out of you with ads in the Daydream mode. Such innocent start ups will certainly eventually push advertising or some other revenue creating scheme in front of you in some way, but this is so they can do this terrible thing called staying in business by making a profit. Such loss of revenue virginity doesn't make them evil, just less at risk of disappearing.

Anyway, some apps come with or download ad images into specific folders, which are then considered to be like any other image on your N7 and are part of your photo gallery. If you've chosen all available folders that contain images to be displayed in the Daydream settings, then any ad images already on your device will occasionally be shown. To fix this, go the the Daydream settings for the photo wall and deselect the folders that contain the images you don't want. You can also find and delete those images or folders using a file manager or the Gallery or other image viewing/management app.
    This
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for that feedback. I went into daydream and I only have certain folders selected. So I went into gallery to those folders and the ad ain't in there

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greenstone View Post
    Thanks for that feedback. I went into daydream and I only have certain folders selected. So I went into gallery to those folders and the ad ain't in there
    Please describe the ad images. Have they appeared recently?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I noticed it last week for the first time but haven't seen it again since starting this thread. I am pretty sure if I recall it was a Verizon ad.

If you have another appearance, then post here. Otherwise, perhaps you recently uninstalled an app with that ad, or simply deleted the image or folder without realizing it.
    Thanked by: