1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default US Nexus 7 in Europe

I just brought my Nexus 7 from the US to home in Netherlands. I have a European USB adapter for plugging in a USB and then charging from a wall socket. Input is 100-240 volts; output is 5.0V. I should be able to plug my American USB into the adapter and recharge, but wanted to make sure it isn't going to fry my Nexus instead. Thanks.

Default Re: US Nexus 7 in Europe

i know there currents are different. if the adapter is prepared for that, i do not see how the cable would cause damage when completing the circuit.

Default Re: US Nexus 7 in Europe

The fact that the adapter is rated 100-240 volts means that it's a universal adapter and can be used with household electric currents and power outlets throughout the world. I used the term household because you obviously don't want to plug it into a high voltage (e.g. 480 volts) industrial outlet, which would indeed cook your N7 to a crisp. Of course, depending on the country you're in and the design of the prongs on the adapter, you might need a socket adapter in order to plug your power adapter into the wall.

The most important thing in terms of charging your N7 is rated amp output. Ideally you want your charger to have a 2 amp output in order to charge your Nexus 7 at a nominal rate. If it's less than 2 amps, it won't charge as quickly, and possibly not at all. It's okay if it's more than 2 amps, as the N7 and most electronic devices have circuitry that limits the input to the proper level.