1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Slow downloads, uploads fine

Fired up my 7 after it sitting on my desk for a few months and it seems the device is having very slow download speeds. I have a 30/5 connection and while the upload is fine, the downloads are pretty bad in the 2-3 Mbps range. Other devices check out fine, so any ideas folks?

Default Re: Slow downloads, uploads fine

Don't know, but I've seen a similar thing since switching from DSL to cable. Just plugging the router into the cable modem instead of the DSL modem cuts the download speed in half. Other Android devices and PCs have no download issues.

I've run tests with the and it shows that many networking parameters (buffer sizes etc) are different on the N7 and other Android devices, but I don't have enough network-fu to figure out what they mean. Nor is it likely that there would be any easy non-root fix to a networking parameter if I did figure out what the problem was.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Slow downloads, uploads fine

Quote Originally Posted by DavdEBSmith View Post
    Don't know, but I've seen a similar thing since switching from DSL to cable. Just plugging the router into the cable modem instead of the DSL modem cuts the download speed in half. Other Android devices and PCs have no download issues.

I've run tests with the and it shows that many networking parameters (buffer sizes etc) are different on the N7 and other Android devices, but I don't have enough network-fu to figure out what they mean. Nor is it likely that there would be any easy non-root fix to a networking parameter if I did figure out what the problem was.
    Interesting, I'll have to check that app out. The weird thing is with the same internet/router, the N7's download speeds are just terrible. It's been off for about 2 months and before that zero issues. What's even more puzzling is the download is capped, but the upload is not. Maybe that app can shed some light.