- 8 Posts
When offline how quick is the GPS
I want a device I can carry when I travel abroad so I can read my travel notes or check where I am on a map.
My iPad 2 locates me almost instantly when I am offline but I find it too big and heavy to carry along all day
On the other hand, I find the screen of my Galaxy S2 too small and its GPS is very slow. On average it takes between 5 and 10 minutes before it locates me when offline.
A Nexus 7 would be a good compromise between size and weight. When offline, how quick is the GPS? Is it as slow as my S2?
- 06-16-2013, 04:56 PM #2
- 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM #3
- 06-18-2013, 10:33 PM #4
- 06-19-2013, 02:31 AM #5
- 825 Posts
Re: When offline how quick is the GPS
My test results:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area suburb
Opened GPS Test Plus app with GPS turned off.
Walked outside to the driveway, 2 story house on one side of me, about 20 feet away; various very tall trees semi-surrounding, approximately 50 to 150 feet away.
Turned GPS on within 10 seconds of walking outside, then referred to the GPS Test Plus app.
8 of 8 satellites located and in use within 12 seconds of turning on GPS, with accuracy reading within 50 feet. Accuracy was within 20 feet after 20 seconds.
An additional 2 to 3 satellites were located during the next minute as I walked a few feet further from the house, with 1 to 2 of those being used (they popped in and out).
Summary: Damn fast!
- By MaxBuck in forum HTC JetstreamReplies: 3Last Post: 06-25-2013, 03:11 AM
- By briguyy in forum HTC EVO 3DReplies: 3Last Post: 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM
- By Mikey47 in forum Sprint Epic 4GReplies: 28Last Post: 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM
- By tracerit in forum HTC EVO 4GReplies: 10Last Post: 05-25-2010, 08:42 PM
- By hakoreh in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 2Last Post: 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM