Writing to memory stick from Nexus 7

r k deakin

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have read a few threads about this but most are out of date or don't describe how to do anything.

I have a new Nexus 7 which does allow writing to a USB device. I have found out (with difficulty!) how to import from a flash drive to the Nexus using Nexus Media Importer. I have ticked the Allow Writing option on Media Importer's options.

How do I now write from the Nexus to the flash drive? Do I use EPS File Explorer or what? I have not yet at all got to grips with Explorer, can't make head or tail of it. I spend a lot of time feeling really stupid with the Nexus.

Can someone please tell me what to do without using jargon - please assume I know almost nothing!

Last edited by a moderator:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Writing to memory stick from nexus 7

Hi, and welcome to the Nexus 7 forums. First, you've done well in figuring out how to attach a USB drive using an OTG cable, then using Nexus Media Importer to transfer or stream media files to the Nexus 7. To transfer files from the N7 to the USB drive, you perform basically the same process. I've written a lot of instructions below, but most of it is just extra information that might be helpful, depending on your knowledge level. The basic process is really quite simple.

1. The USB flash drive (or USB hard drive, or memory card inside a USB adapter) must be formatted as either FAT32 or FAT16 in order to write to that drive. If it's formatted as NTFS, you will only be able to read from the drive, not write to it (though the developer is hoping to add this functionality in the future). If it's formatted as exFAT or anything else, it won't work with NMI at all.

Formatting Basics:
How do you know if the drive is formatted correctly? Plug it into your computer, open Windows Explorer (File Explorer in Windows 7 and 8) and find the drive. Right click on the drive name, then click Properties. The Properties window will indicate the type of file system under the General tab.

How do you change the formatting if it's not FAT32? While still plugged into your computer, follow the above procedure, but choose Format after right clicking. The Format window will appear. Click on the drop down menu under File System and choose FAT32. Make sure the Quick Format box is checked, then click Start. A warning will appear that all data on the drive will be erased if you proceed with formatting. Assuming that this is alright with you, click OK and wait for the formatting to complete.

How do you do this on a Mac? Yeah, right, like I've ever used a Mac in my lifetime! Google it!

2. Once you've confirmed that your USB drive is correctly formatted, plug it into your OTG cable, and then plug the cable into your N7.

If you've connected this specific USB drive before, and at that time chose to open NMI by default, then NMI should automatically open.

If this is the first time plugging in this specific USB drive (or you didn't choose the Default option the first time), the NMI confirmation window will pop up asking if you want NMI to open when attaching this drive. Before tapping OK, place a check in the box that asks if you want to use NMI by default for this USB device. Doing so means that the next time you plug in this specific USB drive, NMI will automatically start without the confirmation window.

3. Once NMI opens, the Connect window might also pop up in front of the main interface, most likely if you've never attached this device before. If the Connect window does not pop up, then tap the menu icon (3 vertical dots in the upper right corner) and then tap the Connect option.

The Connect window lets you designate whether you will import to the Nexus 7 from the USB drive, or export from the N7 to the attached drive. Choose Exporter from the drop down menu. You'll notice that the text "Select Source" changes to "Select Destination". Under that will be the name of your USB drive. Tap this name. After doing so, the Connecting window will pop up momentarily while the USB drive is being read, after which you'll use the main interface to transfer files.

4. You'll use the NMI interface to find and choose files for transferring. Tap either the Photos, Video, Music, or Docs tab at the top to search for the type of file you want to transfer. Under each tab will be a selection of files that NMI found in the default Android locations for that file type.

Depending on which tab you are viewing, you might also be presented with additional folders or categories from which to choose. For example, under the Music tab you'll be shown folders for Albums, Artists, Artists (Albums), and Folders. Search for your file by tapping on one of those folders. Once you find the file, select it by tapping it.

After the file is selected, the Copy, Move, Delete, and Share action icons will appear in the top right corner of the screen. Choose Copy or Move. The Select Destination window will pop up, showing you the directory structure on your USB drive, allowing you to choose the specific destination for the file you are transferring. Navigate to the preferred folder (or create a new one by tapping the down arrow icon), then tap OK. The file transfer will begin and take a few seconds, depending on the size of the file. It's helpful if your USB drive has an activity LED, so that you know it's transferring or connecting when you see the light flashing, and that it has completed the action once the flashing stops.

5. Other ways to find and transfer files:

NMI automatically finds media and documents on the N7 and places them under the appropriate tabs. However, it only looks for such files in the default Android locations, so if you have files located in other, non-default folders, they won't show up under the Photos, Video, Music, or Docs tabs.

To see more files under these tabs, go to Menu > Preferences, and uncheck the Default Android Locations box. The drawback to doing this is that you might be inundated with too many files from all the different app directories, making it difficult to find what you're looking for.

Another way to find files is by using the Folders tab. Under the Folders tab you'll see a list of all the folders in the /sdcard directory (under /storage/emulated/0 according to NMI) on your N7. Navigate to the appropriate folder to find and select the file you want. This might be most useful to access the Downloads folder, where files are usually placed when downloading using an internet browser.

Perhaps the most versatile method of locating and transferring files is by using the Advanced tab. The Advanced tab presents you with both the N7 folder list (on top) as well as the USB drive folder list. It lets you browse either device to choose a source file to transfer, while browsing the other device to choose the destination folder. With the Advanced tab you can transfer files in either direction, regardless of the Connect mode you chose earlier.

First, under either the N7 or the USB drive directory, find the file you want to transfer, then select it by tapping it. Next, navigate to the destination folder on the other device. Then tap the down arrow icon on the folder list of the source device, which has the file you have selected. From the drop down menu choose Move or Copy. A confirmation window will appear. Tap OK, and the file transfer will begin.

Those are the basics regarding transferring files from your Nexus 7 to an attached USB storage drive. There are other options in terms of customizing the interface, choosing multiple files, and using default destination locations, but you can explore those options as needed.

r k deakin

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks a lot, mostly just what I needed and have got it to work.
Still totally confused about the filing structure on the Nexus but I'll continue.........

deniik

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

I did everything as you wrote, but I can?t still export data from my Nexus to a memory card throught Nexus media importer. Icons "Copy and Move" are disable. My flash disc works in FAT32 but after connecting nexus always writes "root, read only". I?m helpless! Do you know, why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

At what point does it give you this message? Upon inserting the drive or upon tapping OK for the file transfer to begin? Also, are you using a USB flash drive or a memory card of some sort inside a USB card reader?

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

At what point does it give you this message? Upon inserting the drive or upon tapping OK for the file transfer to begin? Also, are you using a USB flash drive or a memory card of some sort inside a USB card reader?

MJKearney,
Does it annoy you when you try to help someone, ask them a question, and they just stop replying?

Sent from my M470BSA

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

He gets paid either way... :-$

I've done his job before.
And you know that guy that spams all the comments sections?
Well we make exactly as much as his, Girlfriend's, Aunt's, Sister, makes on her computer from the comfort of her home.

:):):)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Helen Nacey

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

I'm aware this thread is old but I am having the same issue as Deniik - when I click on the file i wish to transfer to my usb stick the copy option is disabled. screenshot attached.. any suggestions?
Screenshot_2014-03-19-00-15-57.png

Thanks,

Helen.

Sonny_P

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
The right pane (USB drive directory) on your screen shot says "Read Only". Did you remember to tick the "Allow Writing" option on NMI settings? Also, NMI can not write to NTFS formatted drives. See item 1 of MJKearney's post.

Helen Nacey

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The right pane (USB drive directory) on your screen shot says "Read Only". Did you remember to tick the "Allow Writing" option on NMI settings? Also, NMI can not write to NTFS formatted drives. See item 1 of MJKearney's post.

Yes Sonny_P the blooming "Allow Writing" that is what I was missing! I'd already checked the format so I knew I was ok on that account. How did I miss the allow writing option. What a ninny! Thank you kindly! :)

zhu zhu

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
after you choose the "write option", does it allow you to copy data to USB? I still can't do it.
Please help...
Yes Sonny_P the blooming "Allow Writing" that is what I was missing! I'd already checked the format so I knew I was ok on that account. How did I miss the allow writing option. What a ninny! Thank you kindly! :)

h2onortheast

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i am new to this site but have had few probs like Helen described in moving folder or files from memory cards or flash drives.
I think i have it sorted by using the file manager option in nexus media importer. You must be in advanced mode plus already selected the source and destination folders. The move or copy option can be greyed out if the destination is not preselected or the drive its going to is not FAT 32 or 16.
I also find that the drop down arrow for options in each section don't always show the right options so you might need to go back 1 or 2 steps to try again. If Helen or zhu still have probs let me know

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2