why is my GPS suddenly on constantly?

Aaron Bohannon

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
For the past day or so, I have noticed that my GPS is constantly searching for my location, with the icon blinking in my status bar. When I check the "App Info" by long-pressing on the item, I find that it is being used by the "System UI". I always leave my GPS on so that it is available for apps to use and this has never happened before. Normally, the GPS only searches for a location when I open Google Maps or something similar. And here's the weird thing: it started happening yesterday on both my nexus 7 tablet and my Motorola RAZR M phone. Motorola has custom widgets, so I'm using totally different widgets on the two devices. At first, I figured it must have been a buggy update from the play store. But as I talk to people and search the internet, I'm not finding anyone else with this issue. How is it suddenly happening on both my devices and not on anyone else's?

I'm not one to be paranoid, but with all this news about the NSA, I can't help but wonder if someone is trying to have me tracked. I can't believe we have come to the point where I have to consider possibilities like that in all seriousness.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible you added a new app to both devices?
Or changed the settings on ones you already had, and they are now using your location?

Or possibly the NSA, FBI, LEO, finally found you, and is now watching you?
Do you hear strange noises when you use the phone?
:)

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Just kidding. All playing aside, it seems like an app is triggering it, to me. Try force closing everything, and if needed, do a factory reset on the device.

MidniteLark

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
You are not alone! I just Googled to see why my phone suddenly started having the same problem this week and found your post. My phone started searching for GPS constantly and almost drained my battery yesterday. The only thing I've done differently recently is that I turned all mobile data and GPS off when I was traveling internationally last week. I turned it back on when I got home over the weekend and yesterday, the "searching for GPS" icon started flashing. Today, I've turned GPS off entirely and that's made the icon disappear. But it's a pain. Now every time I want to use maps or Yelp, I'll have to go turn the GPS back on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie