Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can I buy a pre-paid data plan, and put a sim card into my nexus 7?

I have the Nexus model that allows data in addition to wifi. I have rare occasions for the need for data on the nexus. My ATT plan doesn't allow tethering with my smart phone.

So, can I buy some sort of US pre-paid data plan and occasionally use my Nexus 7 without wifi? I do not want to change from ATT.

thanks, Rich

p.s. any suggestions for a U S pre paid plan would also be appreciated.

Global Posts
    899 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can I buy a pre-paid data plan, and put a sim card into my nexus 7?

Maybe some MVNO has something that will work but AT&T doesn't seem to want to tap into the pay-per-use data market. Monthly plans only.

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    I have the Nexus model that allows data in addition to wifi. I have rare occasions for the need for data on the nexus. My ATT plan doesn't allow tethering with my smart phone.

So, can I buy some sort of US pre-paid data plan and occasionally use my Nexus 7 without wifi? I do not want to change from ATT.

thanks, Rich

p.s. any suggestions for a U S pre paid plan would also be appreciated.
    Sign up with AT&T for occasional monthly data service. Or you can add the ATT SIM and pay on contact. Same goes if you want a SIM from T-Mobile.

Nexus 7 can't use a phone SIM or at least the carriers won't allow it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,098 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rxgadget View Post
    Sign up with AT&T for occasional monthly data service. Or you can add the ATT SIM and pay on contact. Same goes if you want a SIM from T-Mobile.

Nexus 7 can't use a phone SIM or at least the carriers won't allow it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    That's correct. I've tried taking my T-Mobile sim out of my Nexus 4 and placing it in my Nexus 7 and it just prompts me to login to my T-Mobile account. Changing APNs won't work.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T-Mobile offers a prepaid data plan. I have tested it with iPad and it works fine so I would assume its the same principle for the Nexus 7. Tell them what you're wanting to do and it should be fairly easy. I think its $35 for 3.5 GB or $50 for 5 GB. If you buy the refills at Walmart, I think they last for 60 days instead of 30 but I am not entirely sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,098 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    They do. Been using them on my Nexus 7 since March. I originally ordered mine with an AT&T sim but they are horrible at my house and T-Mobile works great where I live.

On my iPad, I have AT&T and they are generally Ok on it. I even get 40Mbps downloads on LTE but LTE stops two blocks from my house and so does the AT&T signal so that's where T-Mobile steps in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they last for 60 days instead of 30 but I am not entirely sure.
    Then why would you say so? Did you look at the T-Mobile link that specifically says 30 days?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,098 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T-Mobiles data plans last for 30 days just like AT&T and Verizon. I use T-Mobile on my Nexus 7.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Then why would you say so? Did you look at the T-Mobile link that specifically says 30 days?

I specifically said if you purchased refills from Walmart, they should last for 60 days instead of the standard 30 days. It's in the description for airtime at Walmart.com.

(Email Delivery) T-Mobile $50 Prepaid Mobile Broadband Pass: Cell Phones : Walmart.com

EDIT: Upon further reading, it states the 60 day refill is only valid for broadband devices purchased through Walmart. Moot point for my original post.