Forgot pattern lock - username/password wont work

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So I set a pattern lock on my Nexus 7 yesterday but I've already forgotten it so after trying the wrong pattern 5 times my Nexus 7 tells me to wait or choose the option Forgot my pattern. It then prompts me to enter my username (email) and password. I put in my primary gmail email address and its password but it keeps saying invalid username or password. What am I doing wrong?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Do the full email @gmail.com
Make sure the pass is right and if that doesn't work just factory reset it.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
If its stolen why would I bother with trying to get it to log me into my own Gmail account? It won't do that for some reason. My Gmail account logs in just fine on my computer and everywhere. Try checking my posting history, I've had my Nexus 7 for a long time.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Its not working Ive tried logging in with my Gmail account countless times, whats wrong?

If you haven't cleaned the glass you may still be able to see the remnants of your pattern smudged on your screen. It's surprising how often I can see at least a portion of people's screenlock pattern on their glass from an angle.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Its not working Ive tried logging in with my Gmail account countless times, whats wrong?
Can you login to the Gmail account from a PC? (i.e. are you sure you have the right password?)

I have the reverse problem. I added a guest user on my Nexus 7 when I went to visit family over Christmas. I know the PIN on the device but forgot the Google password, so now I can't use the guest account anywhere except the N7. :mad:

Yomna Jamal

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm goin' through ur same problem but I reset it and it keeps showin' me the "enter gmail account" stuff... a little help here!! but mine isn't a nexus7 it's an ordinary tablet pc...:-\

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you login to the Gmail account from a PC? (i.e. are you sure you have the right password?)

I have the reverse problem. I added a guest user on my Nexus 7 when I went to visit family over Christmas. I know the PIN on the device but forgot the Google password, so now I can't use the guest account anywhere except the N7. :mad:

Have to use a PC or use N7 browser on main account to reset guest Google password.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Have to use a PC or use N7 browser on main account to reset guest Google password.
Thank you for the suggestion but the accounts are not linked. It was a blank account so I could let family play with the Nexus 7 without worrying somebody would read my email, buy apps, etc.

Anyway, I ordered an OBIHAI box and wanted to repurpose the guest account for Google Voice at home, separate from my primary Google account for the same kind of reasons. After beating my head against the wall for a bit, I took the easy way out and created yet another new account instead. :D :D I'll just leave the guest account as-is for lending and Nexus demos.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Factory Reset the device.

This is a bug that has existed since at least early 2010 in Android (2.1 at least). Google still hasn't fixed this, I guess, Lol.

Remember having to get a new Vibrant from Assurion because of this issue back in mid-late 2010.

If your device doesn't support the 3 button method to enter recovery, then you may have some issues :)

A quick search of the Google Groups/Android Bug Reports confirms the above information...

a91030mom

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue. I forgot that I had Google two factor authentication and I had a different p/w for my phone. So log into your google account from a pc and get them to issue a new p/w for your phone by revoking the old one and getting a new one, type it in when prompted again on the phone and you're good to go.

You can start here: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/SmsAuthSettings click on "turn off 2-step verification?"

You'll get this:
Turn off 2-step verification

You will no longer be asked for verification codes when you sign in to your @gmail.com account. Are you turning off 2-step verification because of trouble signing into your account on your phone, or accessing your account on other apps? You may need to use an <<application-specific password>> with devices and applications that don't know how to accept verification codes.​

<<application-specific password >> will have a hyper-link, click on that and that will get you to the right place to revoke the old p/w and get a new one.

Dux Ducis Hodiernus

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. I forgot that I had Google two factor authentication and I had a different p/w for my phone. So log into your google account from a pc and get them to issue a new p/w for your phone by revoking the old one and getting a new one, type it in when prompted again on the phone and you're good to go.

You can start here: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/SmsAuthSettings click on "turn off 2-step verification?"

You'll get this:
Turn off 2-step verification

You will no longer be asked for verification codes when you sign in to your @gmail.com account. Are you turning off 2-step verification because of trouble signing into your account on your phone, or accessing your account on other apps? You may need to use an <<application-specific password>> with devices and applications that don't know how to accept verification codes.​

<<application-specific password >> will have a hyper-link, click on that and that will get you to the right place to revoke the old p/w and get a new one.

I love you.