OT: cheap tablet dedicatd to GPS use?

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes use my precious N7 as a GPS in the car. Emphasis on precious!
My wish is to find a cheap (smaller, worry-free) Android device with onboard GPS chip to dedicate almsot exclusively to navigation plus a handful of apps.

Doable?

Why not a cheap GPS: reading some reviews some are not even that good a recalculating routes when going off-track, which I find ridiculous. Could it be an on-board computing power limitation, perhaps..?

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes use my precious N7 as a GPS in the car. Emphasis on precious!
My wish is to find a cheap (smaller, worry-free) Android device with onboard GPS chip to dedicate almsot exclusively to navigation plus a handful of apps.

Doable?

Why not a cheap GPS: reading some reviews some are not even that good a recalculating routes when going off-track, which I find ridiculous. Could it be an on-board computing power limitation, perhaps..?

I would look at a stand alone GPS, I've used a Garmin for years without problems.
It's as quick to recalculate a route as my Samsung S3.

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If it is just going to be a GPS why not get a dedicated unit? Built in maps are much better than downloading. Also, you can get a number of units with lifetime free map upgrades.

As far as dedicated units experiencing problems with recalculating routes when going off-track, my Garmin Nuvi does not seem to have that issue.