Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Is your Nexus 7 slow? Should I wait for the new one?

Last edited by Cole R; 07-10-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Is your Nexus 7 slow? Should I wait for the new one?

Before I got rid of it, my Nexus 7 had slowed down considerably since I got it at launch last year. I'd wait for the next one. Shouldn't be too long now.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Definitely wait for the next N7. It'll come out soon based on patterns. And based on solid rumors, it'll destroy the Note 8 and OG N7 in every way except for the S Pen.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Why does the Nexus 7 slow down after a while? Deja vu, reminds me of Windows XP.

There was/is (?) a particular issue with (some of?) the 16gb devices where when the free disk space gets down around 2-3gb, they slow down quite a bit. Not sure what the explanation was...something about how the two 8gb memory chips in them were set up...

[edit]: The other issue of course is the half baked multi user support in 4.2. Stay away from that!
    Thanked by:

I really love my Nexus. Bought it a couple of months ago because why not. It was really cheap and I love it. I don't see myself needing the N7 2 but will probably get the N7 3

Sent from my wonderful Nexus 7
    Verizon S3
    Apple iPad
    Alienware M14x
    Windows 8 desktop-4.6 GHZ, 32gigs RAM, 3 TB HD space, Sabertooth x79 motherboard, NVidia GTX 680 GFX card
    Apple Mac Mini
    Microsoft Xbox 360 MW3 edition
    Windows 7 Tablet/PC
    Asus 23" 2ms Response time monitor
    ---------------------
    Some call it a nerd cave,
    I call it my room
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Last edited by Cole R; 07-10-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    There was/is (?) a particular issue with (some of?) the 16gb devices where when the free disk space gets down around 2-3gb, they slow down quite a bit. Not sure what the explanation was...something about how the two 8gb memory chips in them were set up...

[edit]: The other issue of course is the half baked multi user support in 4.2. Stay away from that!
    I have the 32GB version, with plenty of space left and it still lags from time to time.
    To answer the OP's question, I would get the Note 8 or the next Nexus 7 if it runs better than the current version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OK. To answer you. No my Nexus isn't slow. But I have a 32GB Nexus

Yes I would probably wait, but it's up to you

Sent from my wonderful Nexus 7
    Verizon S3
    Apple iPad
    Alienware M14x
    Windows 8 desktop-4.6 GHZ, 32gigs RAM, 3 TB HD space, Sabertooth x79 motherboard, NVidia GTX 680 GFX card
    Apple Mac Mini
    Microsoft Xbox 360 MW3 edition
    Windows 7 Tablet/PC
    Asus 23" 2ms Response time monitor
    ---------------------
    Some call it a nerd cave,
    I call it my room

ROM
    CM10

Is it agonizingly slow to the point of not being usable? No.
    But the Tegra 3 SoC has definitely not aged well with the times. The measly 1GB of RAM doesn't help either.
    Future iterations of the Android OS and apps will only get more and more hardware intensive, so the odds are certainly against the N7.

Definitely wait for the next generation of the product. The N7 was released in July last year. So it's certainly due for an update very soon.

It's slower compared to my Nexus 4 but it has not slowed down since buying it in February. I have the 32GB cellular version. I still have 19.2 GB free on it.

You must be set on an Android tablet but just from my experience with a Moto Xoom, Asus Transformer Prime and a very brief stint with a N7 I have to say the Android tablet experience is abysmal!
    Now I used the Xoom for a few months then used Best Buys buy back program to get my transformer which I also used for about 3 months. The app environment sucks and in regards to the N7 it slowed down noticeably when I had it and I only installed around 10 apps! I would definitely recommend waiting for the next version of the N7.
    I would also recommend checking out an iPad Mini which in my opinion is the best tablet experience hands down. I've also owned an iPad 3 a Mini I would never go back to an Android tablet after using the iPads.
    But whatever you get just make sure its something you will be overjoyed to have!

Sent from the collector home world.

Quote Originally Posted by swarlos View Post
    I would also recommend checking out an iPad Mini which in my opinion is the best tablet experience hands down. I've also owned an iPad 3 a Mini I would never go back to an Android tablet after using the iPads.
    But whatever you get just make sure its something you will be overjoyed to have!

I agree 100% on the iPad. Had I bought my iPad Mini before I bought my Nexus 7, i likely would not have bought the Nexus 7. I still own both but for most things, I use my iPad Mini. It's a whole different world compared to the Nexus 7.

Plus I can use my iPad for hours, sometimes as much as 12-15 before charging. My Nexus 7, 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    I agree 100% on the iPad. Had I bought my iPad Mini before I bought my Nexus 7, i likely would not have bought the Nexus 7. I still own both but for most things, I use my iPad Mini. It's a whole different world compared to the Nexus 7.

Plus I can use my iPad for hours, sometimes as much as 12-15 before charging. My Nexus 7, 1-2.
    The problem with buying the iPad Mini is that it is likely to be replaced in a few months with a retina screened or faster CPU version. So it like the current Nexus 7 is approaching EOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    The problem with buying the iPad Mini is that it is likely to be replaced in a few months with a retina screened or faster CPU version. So it like the current Nexus 7 is approaching EOL.
    I doubt there will be a mini with a retina display for at least a few years.

Yes is damn slow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Get the galaxy 8... or the iPad .I haven't bought any android tablets yet but compare the nexus vs iPad 1... that iPad 1 is do old look but no lag ever

Only android tab is nexus 7 and kindle fire...I haven't bought the note tablets yet.. My mind is else where lol

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by swarlos View Post
    You must be set on an Android tablet but just from my experience with a Moto Xoom, Asus Transformer Prime and a very brief stint with a N7 I have to say the Android tablet experience is abysmal!
    Now I used the Xoom for a few months then used Best Buys buy back program to get my transformer which I also used for about 3 months. The app environment sucks and in regards to the N7 it slowed down noticeably when I had it and I only installed around 10 apps! I would definitely recommend waiting for the next version of the N7.

The point of this thread isn't whether or not to get an Android tablet; it's which Android tablet to get.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Last edited by Cole R; 07-10-2013 at 03:01 PM.

My 32GB N7 has slowed down considerably even though I only have about 16GB of space used-up. I tried all of the published tricks on this stock, non-rooted N7 and after a noticeable speed-up subsequent to running "ForeverGone", it's back to slowness and hesitations. The oddity is that I have not installed many new apps since the slowness started. This morning for example, it is as if the N7 froze. It took almost a minute before it became responsive. Then screen scrolling became a chore. Rebooting doesn't bring back responsiveness, only running "ForeverGone" gave me noticeable but temporary improvement. Disappointed? Yes... and to those who say "root", why should I? This Google branded N7 should not exhibit this and Google should release an update to fix this as it seems to be fairly common. I know that they did something for the 16GB model but mine is a 32GD N7 (sigh)
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Last edited by Cole R; 07-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by Flashfox View Post
    My 32GB N7 has slowed down considerably even though I only have about 16GB of space used-up. I tried all of the published tricks on this stock, non-rooted N7 and after a noticeable speed-up subsequent to running "ForeverGone", it's back to slowness and hesitations. The oddity is that I have not installed many new apps since the slowness started. This morning for example, it is as if the N7 froze. It took almost a minute before it became responsive. Then screen scrolling became a chore. Rebooting doesn't bring back responsiveness, only running "ForeverGone" gave me noticeable but temporary improvement. Disappointed? Yes... and to those who say "root", why should I? This Google branded N7 should not exhibit this and Google should release an update to fix this as it seems to be fairly common. I know that they did something for the 16GB model but mine is a 32GD N7 (sigh)
    So you recommend the $400 galaxy note 8 over the Nexus 7?

I've come to the conclusion that for general usage iPad mini is best but for movies and TV shows Android is the best.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Last edited by Cole R; 07-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast