Will ADB backup work between first & second gen Nexus 7's?

ObiWanYJ

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
We have (had) a first-gen 16GB Nexus 7 that got damaged. It was not rooted. I periodically performed both an "adb backup" and rsynced all the accessible files to my desktop.

We replaced with with a second-gen 32GB Nexus 7 running the same 4.2.2. This one has been rooted without modifying the bootloader.

I've tried copying all the obb files from our games (NOVA 3, Order & Chaos, Great Big War Game, etc) from the desktop back to the new N7, but they just get ignored, putting the player back at the beginning of the game. Any ideas why?

What will happen if I try to restore the ADB backup from the older N7 onto the new N7? Are the first & second generation devices similar enough that such a restore will work just fine? The new one is only a few days old, so I don't mind doing a factory reset if necessary.

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
They are not different gen devices, and should work with Adb backup/adb restore. I don't know though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

ObiWanYJ

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I know that the WiFi radio changed (different MAC prefix). I wasn't sure what else might have changed, or if even just the increased capacity would make a difference to adb.

Does anybody else actually know the answer?