Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Webster Phreaky
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    Just bought a new 32GB Nexus 7 clearance sale to upgrade from my "early adopter" 8GB 7. Damn Google for not putting a Micro SD card slot (like my 10" ASUS TF) on the Nexus 7, so how can I transfer all my apps, settings and data to my new Nexus 7 ... without doing a Rooting?? (not interested in Rooting my devices). I have about 6GB of used space on my old Nexus 7 with Apps, setups and data.

    There has to be a way to do it via cloud, Micro USB via PC, or using my LAN NAS? Someone has to have had to do this before?

    Thanks
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    Try Helium backup app in the Google Play Store. Should cover most of what your looking for.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    Quote Originally Posted by Webster Phreaky View Post
    Just bought a new 32GB Nexus 7 clearance sale to upgrade from my "early adopter" 8GB 7. Damn Google for not putting a Micro SD card slot (like my 10" ASUS TF) on the Nexus 7, so how can I transfer all my apps, settings and data to my new Nexus 7 ... without doing a Rooting?? (not interested in Rooting my devices). I have about 6GB of used space on my old Nexus 7 with Apps, setups and data.

    There has to be a way to do it via cloud, Micro USB via PC, or using my LAN NAS? Someone has to have had to do this before?

    Thanks
    As long as you have your account synced under settings/Google accounts and the backup my data box checked under settings/back up and reset, it should install those apps automatically once you set up the new device with same account.
    Samsung Galaxy S3, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  4. #4  

    Default Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    I replaced my N7 a couple of months ago. Apps are sync'd with the Play Store, like repligation said. I chose to download manually (and skip a lot of games my grandson had used). I use Dropbox and sync things to that. I keep very little stored on the N7 (except movies). I backed up my Nova Launcher settings to Dropbox and then restored from the backup. The new N7 even knew my Wifi settings and reconnected automatically.

    It was pretty painless.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    Thanks all, ... I guess I am most interested the having the same App settings moves and all my data files/pictures/etc. moved seamlessly.
    hoosiermama279 - how are you getting your large movie files onto your N7? One of the reasons I moved up to a 32GB N7 from the 8GB. A few movies on it for long trips as well as full GPS detailed area Maps.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    Quote Originally Posted by Webster Phreaky View Post
    Thanks all, ... I guess I am most interested the having the same App settings moves and all my data files/pictures/etc. moved seamlessly.
    hoosiermama279 - how are you getting your large movie files onto your N7? One of the reasons I moved up to a 32GB N7 from the 8GB. A few movies on it for long trips as well as full GPS detailed area Maps.
    I use Handbrake on my windows 7 laptop to convert DVD rips into mp4s. cuts the size down to about 1/4 of the original DVD.
    Samsung Galaxy S3, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Exclamation Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    I'm back and VERY frustrated.
    I'm having problems with BOTH using Google sync restoring my apps to the new Nexus 7 32GB (same Gmail acct) that are installed on my old Nexus 7 8GB and I can't get Helium backup app to do the data backup to my Windows 7 notebook, even though Carbon sees the Helium backup app on my old Nexus 7 8GB!/

    So, my first frustration is that Google Playstore (logged into the SAME gmail address) does not show the installed apps my old N7 has, when the new N7 is connected to it. I've done the full factory reset three times now, selected "restore applications and settings" during each startup process after the resets, including using the same Playstore Gmail acct name. I don't understand what's going on? I've gone thru all the "Settings" to force a reinstall, but can't find anything, but as I said the Playstore is also not showing all the installed apps, including purchased ones, that are actually installed on the old N7. Anyone got any ideas??

    Second frustration - why can't I get Helium to backup settings and data my Win7 Notebook?

    I'm not a newbee to Android ... but I'm moderately experienced, however still clueless on backup strategies and software.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Try Helium backup app in the Google Play Store. Should cover most of what your looking for.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Can't get Helium to backup to PC, even though "Carbon" sees Helium on the N7. See above posting regarding situations.
    jmwyman likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

    Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    As long as you have your account synced under settings/Google accounts and the backup my data box checked under settings/back up and reset, it should install those apps automatically once you set up the new device with same account.
    I've got the same problem. I has a 2013 Nexus 7 that was defective. Got a replacement and it starts to try to install the apps, but as it tries each one, gives an error message.

Similar Threads

  1. Stock JB rooted; why can't I make -rw /system mount persist long enough to actually do anything?
    By Dark Penguin in forum Epic 4G Touch Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
  2. Best way to buy music (and download to phone)
    By colbygatte in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 06:24 PM
  3. Group Messaging - Partial Reply-All
    By Josh Schmidt in forum HTC One Google Edition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM
  4. rooting and update help for s4
    By iby123 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM
  5. How to copy or move music collection to SD Card on Note 2
    By comicrage in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions