How can I Transfer apps and all data from old Nexus 7 to a new one??

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a new 32GB Nexus 7 clearance sale to upgrade from my "early adopter" 8GB 7. Damn Google for not putting a Micro SD card slot (like my 10" ASUS TF) on the Nexus 7, so how can I transfer all my apps, settings and data to my new Nexus 7 ... without doing a Rooting?? (not interested in Rooting my devices). I have about 6GB of used space on my old Nexus 7 with Apps, setups and data.

There has to be a way to do it via cloud, Micro USB via PC, or using my LAN NAS? Someone has to have had to do this before?

Thanks

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a new 32GB Nexus 7 clearance sale to upgrade from my "early adopter" 8GB 7. Damn Google for not putting a Micro SD card slot (like my 10" ASUS TF) on the Nexus 7, so how can I transfer all my apps, settings and data to my new Nexus 7 ... without doing a Rooting?? (not interested in Rooting my devices). I have about 6GB of used space on my old Nexus 7 with Apps, setups and data.

There has to be a way to do it via cloud, Micro USB via PC, or using my LAN NAS? Someone has to have had to do this before?

Thanks

As long as you have your account synced under settings/Google accounts and the backup my data box checked under settings/back up and reset, it should install those apps automatically once you set up the new device with same account.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my N7 a couple of months ago. Apps are sync'd with the Play Store, like repligation said. I chose to download manually (and skip a lot of games my grandson had used). I use Dropbox and sync things to that. I keep very little stored on the N7 (except movies). I backed up my Nova Launcher settings to Dropbox and then restored from the backup. The new N7 even knew my Wifi settings and reconnected automatically.

It was pretty painless.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all, ... I guess I am most interested the having the same App settings moves and all my data files/pictures/etc. moved seamlessly.
hoosiermama279 - how are you getting your large movie files onto your N7? One of the reasons I moved up to a 32GB N7 from the 8GB. A few movies on it for long trips as well as full GPS detailed area Maps.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all, ... I guess I am most interested the having the same App settings moves and all my data files/pictures/etc. moved seamlessly.
hoosiermama279 - how are you getting your large movie files onto your N7? One of the reasons I moved up to a 32GB N7 from the 8GB. A few movies on it for long trips as well as full GPS detailed area Maps.
I use Handbrake on my windows 7 laptop to convert DVD rips into mp4s. cuts the size down to about 1/4 of the original DVD.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm back and VERY frustrated.
I'm having problems with BOTH using Google sync restoring my apps to the new Nexus 7 32GB (same Gmail acct) that are installed on my old Nexus 7 8GB and I can't get Helium backup app to do the data backup to my Windows 7 notebook, even though Carbon sees the Helium backup app on my old Nexus 7 8GB!/

So, my first frustration is that Google Playstore (logged into the SAME gmail address) does not show the installed apps my old N7 has, when the new N7 is connected to it. I've done the full factory reset three times now, selected "restore applications and settings" during each startup process after the resets, including using the same Playstore Gmail acct name. I don't understand what's going on? I've gone thru all the "Settings" to force a reinstall, but can't find anything, but as I said the Playstore is also not showing all the installed apps, including purchased ones, that are actually installed on the old N7. Anyone got any ideas??

Second frustration - why can't I get Helium to backup settings and data my Win7 Notebook?

I'm not a newbee to Android ... but I'm moderately experienced, however still clueless on backup strategies and software.

ocostich

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
As long as you have your account synced under settings/Google accounts and the backup my data box checked under settings/back up and reset, it should install those apps automatically once you set up the new device with same account.

I've got the same problem. I has a 2013 Nexus 7 that was defective. Got a replacement and it starts to try to install the apps, but as it tries each one, gives an error message.

MonicaHoliday

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
In both the android devices configure Google Play with the same Gmail ID. Then in your Google Play account purchase list you will have list of all the apps that you have downloaded till date. Just plug the required device and download the app that you require to the device you desire.