Fao all Nexus 7 users, Is it worth trading in my ipad 3 for nexus 7?

pbffc

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the performance and experiences of the Nexus 7 tablet as I currently have an ipad 3 but have an android phone so feel compatibility wise I would be better suited with an android tablet. The reviews on the Nexus 7 have blown me away but I just want to hear from people who own one and use it regulalrly for your views please?

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 and had a Nexus 7 for a few months before selling it. All in all it comes down to how you see yourself using them. I really appreciate the construction of the iPad, and it';s large size is great for browsing on the couch at home. The display is quite simply one of the best tablet displays out there. It's a little large to carry with me, though, and I wouldn't considering bringing it with me to lunch. The Nexus 7 was just about the perfect size in terms of portability, though. As a ebook reader it was more comfortable for me, as it seemed more natural holding it one-handed than a full sized iPad. Speed wise they're both capable devices.

pbffc

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks bearda. Yeah to be honest I do get a bit annoyed with the weight and size of the ipad. Portability wise it int the most comfortable piece of kit. I assume the Nexus is much lighter?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
The new Nexus 7 will most likely be announced Wednesday, so if you decide to sell your iPad, hold off on buying the N7 for another week.

In terms of performance, the current tablet suffers some stuttering on some devices and requires it to be restarted every once in a while. The new N7 is going to have specs that are more like the Nexus 4 (which I also own) and the N4 is lightning fast. I plan on getting the new N7 and giving my current one to my 2 year old.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I moved from an iPad 2 to the Nexus 7.

My needs had changed since I bought the iPad as I subsequently bought an 11" Air to replace my daily computer, and the Air's near similar footprint, weight and instant-on to a 'real' computer kinda negated much of usefulness of the full-sized iPad. That said, I recognized there was a lot to recommend in the ability of mobile internet, email, e-reader, multimedia player and, yes, sometimes business app machine. Given I was already (though more by accident than intent) living in the Apple environment (iPhone, Air, iPad), I initially looked at the iPad Mini. Made sense. Same apps, familiar layout and operation, but it became almost immediately apparent to me its size/shape was odd for me - too wide and not really a handful.

Its then I turned to looking at 7" Android tablets - a size and shape not unlike a paperback, so an easy handful - and a majority of the apps I used on my iPad available for Android, so no real learning curve there. The Nexus appealed because I have had success with ASUS products in the past and, being 'The' Google device, its 'stock' Android OS (without bells and whistles) appealed. Well, that and the 7 was going to be some $200 less than the equivalent Mini.

All that as a preamble, I've had my 7 for a few months now and I like it. That said, I will admit I have found some apps (or their equivalents) I used on my iPad simply don't exist in Android (yet) and I have found that there have been some stability issues with it - but those I put down to bugs in the apps and goodness knows I did have to do a hard reboot of my iPad from time to time. Just not as often.

But, if you are happy with / familiar with / found workarounds for your Android phone, you'll find the same experience on the 7. And its size and weight truly is a marvel when compared to your iPad. Still not really pocketable (unless you wear cargo pants), its easier to include in a bag or briefcase - like I said earlier, the size of a paperback.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
My. 02
I have both an ipad4 64gb and a N7 32gb - personally I find myself using my ipad more because of the larger screen/I like to read and the ipad for me is a better reading experience vs. the N7.
I know reading is just a small sliver of what you can do with either of these tablets but the larger screen wins out for me

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Why did you sell the Nexus if you dont mind me asking?

Basically I had just bought a Nexus 4 and thought having it and my iPad would be enough. When I bought the Nexus 7 it was my only Android device, and I figured having one was enough as long as I still had the iPad. It was also an early 8G Nexus 7, and the storage space was a bit limiting. I'd still sell it given the chance to do it over, but I'm planning on ordering a revised cellular Nexus 7 as soon as they become available. The iPad is still great at home, but some things have changed that make the smaller Nexus 7 format more desirable for bringing back and forth to and around my office.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae