Best video format for conserving battery life?

DevonBoyDave

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
This may seem a strange question but we are about to do a long flight and I want to take the N7 to keep the kids entertained for as long as possible. I am going to stick some TV shows and films on and wondered what video formats are most 'native' shall we say, i.e. will put the least amount of strain on the processor etc and therefore be better for battery life, does resolution affect things? I have various players and always found MX player to handle most formats but I am guessing that some must be better than others. File size is not an issue, i have the 32GB version and will squeeze on as much as I can. I can convert easily enough to most formats too.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You want it in a format that supports hardware decoding rather than software decoding as it's more power efficient. If you disable software decoding in your player (you can certainly do this in bs player, probably in mx also), then you can test compatible formats. If something is not supported in hardware, it simply won't play with software decoding disabled. As to what exact format to use, an educated guess would be that mp4/x.264/aac is likely supported in hardware.