Battery problems and Google Currents

Greenfern

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks! First, apologies if this is a well-worn question but... I've had my Nexus 7 for 6 months and, apart from a few teething troubles, it's been fine. But the last couple of days, the battery has completely lost its charge overnight. To test it, I gave it a full charge in the evening. Next morning - dead. Same again today.

I usually leave it on 'sleep' and it stays charged for 2 or 3 days, no problem, whether or not I put it on aeroplane mode. I had turned off Google Currents, NFC, GPS, anything that might be causing a battery drain.

However, I think the problem lies with Google Currents. Does anyone know if there's been an update that prevents you turning it off? I keep turning off 'background sync' and pressing 'Force stop'. But every time I go back into settings, the darn thing has switched back on again. :(

I think I'll have to disable it completely. But I'm just curious to know if a) Currents has an update that stops it turning off and b) would this be causing the sudden battery drain? Or any other ideas? I don't want to take the flippn' thing back to PC World!

Thank you! :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Currents has been known to be a battery hog for a while, and far as I know, there hasn't been an update to improve its battery usage. There should be a setting within the app for refresh frequency--change it to manual, if possible.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Could you please provide a screenshot of your battery stats (Settings/Battery/) ? Accomplish this by pressing volume down + power for a few seconds.

Second I have and use Google Currents on my N7 and it rarely even shows up in my Battery stats even when reading many articles throughout the day. Not saying that it isn't possible to be part of your problem but again your battery stats will help tell more of the story.

There is no specific refreshing or sync settings other than Enable or Disable sync. I've got mine on all the time and have no issues.

Glad to help just need a little more info to help point you in a good direction.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Paul627g! Not being a Currents user, I'm never sure if I'm giving the best information about it.

Greenfern

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
newreply.php

I hope this works... I don't know if this will tell you anything!

The device was charged this morning and is still on 95%. It's okay at the moment... I'll wait and see if it's dead again in the morning! Now it's showing Currents 'on' even tho I've repeatedly turned it off!

Thank you for your advice so far!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-27-20-01-33.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-27-20-01-33.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 3

Greenfern

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I mean it might not be Currents at all. I'm just trying to work out why it's draining to 0% while in sleep mode, when it never did before.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the screen shot. Lets have another one near the end of the battery cycle of the same screen and any other hi usage stats under battery to help.

For you screen settings just curious what is your setting for screen time out? I have mine set at 30 seconds to kill the display.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Paul627g! Not being a Currents user, I'm never sure if I'm giving the best information about it.

No problem B. Diddy, thanks for responding and tossing out some ideas. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt