Won't recognize charger when turned on

crouchten

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen this combination of symptoms on the forums so I was hoping somebody could help.

My Nexus 7 2012 suddenly stopped accepting a charge. The odd thing is it seems to recognize the USB cable when the unit is turned off (the battery icon shows a battery filling up with a charge), but when the unit is turned on the screen says to plug in the charger (even though the charger is plugged in) and the battery indicator stays at 0% no matter how long it is plugged in.

I have a stock unit with a stock charger. I own three Nexus 7s (three young kids) and the problem only affects this one unit and exists no matter which of the three stock chargers I use with it. I have tried various versions of the Power Off trick and factory reset to no avail.

The thing otherwise works fine (powers up, etc.), it just won't recognize the charger or the fact that it is being charged (the indicator stays at 0% no matter what I do, though the thing seems to have enough power to last quite awhile unplugged despite showing 0%).

The only new thing was it received the Jellybean 4.3 download in the last few days, but that download hasn't been installed (it won't go through the installation process because it says the battery level is too low).

I would think a loose USB port were it not for the fact it seems to recognize the USB cable when the unit is turned off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Friday evening I got the notification for the 4.3 update, but when I tried to install it I got an error and it rebooted to 4.2.2. I was able to download and retry the install but got an error again. My Nexus has sometimes been really erratic about charging but had been doing pretty well. Saturday it threw a hissy and it took 14 hrs and lots of unplug/plug, wiggle connection etc to go from about 40% to nearly full charge. Yesterday I tried to install 4.3 one more time and still got an error. Today I read your post and tried charging with the until turned off - it indicated that it was charging, but when I turned it on the charge was right where it had been. So I tried again - and after and hour turned it on and it says that the charge has GONE DOWN 3% - it's turned off, wi-fi is off - what's going on?

My problem isn't the same as yours (it does claim to be charging whether the unit is on or off) but it is similar - and any thoughts would indeed be appreciated.

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue and had to send it back to the factory for warranty repair (would only charge when off, not charging when on). Mine also had an issue with not being able to communicate with a PC over the USB network.

BTuck123

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine has a very similar problem, won't charge when turned on, but the interesting thing about mine, if you connect the charger when it's off then turn it on, it'll charge normally, but it won't recognise that it's charging, so it says please connect charger and all that malarchy, but the charge goes up... Not quite sure what's causing it, crazy thing... Is the only way to fix it to send it off then? Cause I kinda accidentally dropped it a centimetre into the toilet, so they'd refuse to repair it...

Brent Lalonde

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. The resolution will differ depending on where you bought the tablet. If it was from Play Store then contact Google first if you bought it from a re-seller then the first step is to contact Asus. Now I've read on other forums that Asus will tell you that it's a software problem and to contact Google, conversly I've heard people say that Asus replaced/fixed the unit. I'm going to contact Asus anyways just for due diligence sake. Then contact Google, which I've heard will also replace the unit.

If it indeed is a software issue they may release a patch, but from the research I've seen this is a pre-existing issue that goes back to earlier this year (2013) and maybe earlier, but I can't say as I haven't seen any posts from then. I do wonder though that if the stories of Google doing a straight replacement, what is the manufacturing cost of one Nexus if it's easier to replace the units vs just patching them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL