Credential Storage???

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everybody!

I recently upgraded my stock 2012 Nexus 7 with the Android 4.3 update and am having a bizarre issue. I went to add a new VPN and it began prompting me for a password to access credential storage! First off I have no idea what this is so I googled it and only found a few forum posts (they were back from the ICS days!) but not much else. Everyone said just to get it wrong so many times and it would reset itself just erasing any old VPN settings so I sat there and typed in random garbage 3 times until it said it has erased credential storage but it still keeps prompting me for a password and when I type something in it just keeps giving me a small pop up over the keyboard saying credential storage erased! I have never entered any type of credential password and I tried all of my standard set of pwds with no luck!

Is there some sort of generic key I am missing? Please help!

Jamie Cockrill

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

First post, so be nice. I also have a Nexus 4, which isn't exactly the same hardware, but I had exactly the same problem and whilst I'm not entirely sure how I got round it, I seem to be ok now without any sign of the password prompt. I too was being prompted for a credential storage password when I clicked on the 'VPN' section within Settings > Security, where I hadn't before. I hadn't set up a password for it either. I used to use a simple app called 'VPN Shortcut' to jump to the VPN section in settings to fire up my VPN to a home VPN server.

I did a couple of things that seemed to do the trick:
  • First I disabled my screen-lock pattern thing (Settings > Security > Screen Lock > None).
  • Then I exited out of all that and went to my applications tray and clicked on the 'VPN Shortcut' app.
  • I then ended up at a screen telling me that I couldn't use credential storage without setting up some sort of lock-screen - I followed the prompts to set up a pattern
  • Voila, I was at the VPN page, without my old Home VPN, but I just set it up again and all seemed fine.
I no longer seem to get the prompt asking me for my credential storage password, so it seems to have worked.

Rhyme and reason are unfortunately absent though. This happened to me after the OTA update a few days ago.

HTH,

Jamie

metacomm

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jamie. Your instructions worked perfectly for me too. I'm delighted by your modest account of your apparently serendipitous route to a solution! Cheers, Richard

Last edited:

hotrodcal

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
For me it was a bit different but this solution helped me figure it out so thanks! For me, I didn't have a Screen Lock set in the Security options. Once I set a pin I no longer was prompted to enter the password on my Nexus 7 (2013). I verified the same on my GS4. Great post.

Roger Bell1

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, hotrodcal. Your post finally made sense. Once I set a screen pin, I could get past the credential storage password challenge on my HTC One M8. HTC live support told me it was a carrier issue. What do they know.

saiyan25

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy note 2 with android 4.4.2. I have the same problem with VPN. I have encrypted my phone with a password (6+ characters), so switching to other lock methods or disabling lock is not an option for me. Is there another method without having to install third party VPN software? If so, I would really appreciate it if someone could share it.

malbys

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
An old question, but still many that needs an answer to this problem.
Today I got a mail from IT at my work. Don't know if it helps...but he said that Android has a standard password - corpcert
Maybe this will help someone ☺

Luke Mitchell

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old post, but it still works perfectly. I have a Nexus 4 on Android 4.4.4, i had a PIN configured, but could not access the VPN setup, experencing exactly the same problem described in the 1st post.
I followed Jamie's solution and it worked perfectly. I made 1 small change which was to setup my own VPN shortcut using the built-in settings widget instead on downloading a 3rd party app.
Thanks Jamie.
Cheers
Luke

Last edited:

AnDrelli Barcenas

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello Everybody!

I recently upgraded my stock 2012 Nexus 7 with the Android 4.3 update and am having a bizarre issue. I went to add a new VPN and it began prompting me for a password to access credential storage! First off I have no idea what this is so I googled it and only found a few forum posts (they were back from the ICS days!) but not much else. Everyone said just to get it wrong so many times and it would reset itself just erasing any old VPN settings so I sat there and typed in random garbage 3 times until it said it has erased credential storage but it still keeps prompting me for a password and when I type something in it just keeps giving me a small pop up over the keyboard saying credential storage erased! I have never entered any type of credential password and I tried all of my standard set of pwds with no luck!

Is there some sort of generic key I am missing? Please help!

Valerio Folli

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,
tried all solutions purposed with my S5 mini (4.4.2), but the password request is not fixed :'( . Note that I've no old user certificates to erase! I'm getting crazy! Someone with other ideas?

Also a colleague with a new S6 has the same problem, whilst a colleague with an S5 (5.0) gone well...

Last edited: